Always Streams - Never Transcodes

I’m just trying to test via a web browser (Firefox) on the same LAN. It works, but takes forever for Windows Media Player to launch because it is downloading it and not streaming.

I check the software and it always says “Streaming” under the TVersity ‘Status’ screen no matter the file type. Even though I specifically set it to ALWAYS transcode. I even added a ‘test’ folder and set a few videos in that folder to ALWAYS trancode, but still it streams it.

I’ve tried .mov, .avi, and .mod (mpeg) (my home videos).

Eventually, I’d like to it transcode and stream across my home router. It’s unbearably slow across my DSL connection (512MB Upstream bandwidth) because it won’t transcode. I even set the video resolution to 160x120 to see if it would force transcoding and reduce bandwidth utilization, but it still streamed the original huge 50MB file.

What am I missing? Does TVersity only transcode certain file formats? Unlikely since I tried the "big 3" file video extensions.

Perhaps I need to use a DNLA device like my DirecTV receiver instead? Maybe then TVersity will transcode? (doesn’t support Firefox maybe?)

• Running latest TVersity (as of 8/22/11)
  • Windows 7; 8 GB RAM
  • Shark007 Codec pack (installed before TVersity)
  • Noticed the Tversity codec pack was installed. Should I uninstall it to prevent conflict with Shark007?
  • Also have PlayOn & Orb installed. But disabled those in case of conflict.

Only other theory is I need to edit profiles.xml anbd add a Firefox profile. I’m a TVersity newbie, so still learning.

Thanks for the help Bill.

(you have to use an older copy of TVersity with a DirecTV receiver however)

I just tested my DirecTV receiver. It’s a HR21 I believe. Audio and photos work, but none of the videos I tried worked. Tried .avi, .mpg, and .wmv. Don’t remember exact DirecTV receiver error - just that playback failed.

Is this because I need an older version of TVersity? If so, where do I find it?

TVersity determines if transcoding is required by using the User-Agent header - in your case Mozilla - so no transcoding is needed. And the browser lets the operating system determine how to show the content. I believe downloading completely is how WMP works in general - technically TVersity is streaming but WMP is downloading the stream to a file - although I believe you could fake it out by copying the url and modifying from http:// to rtsp://.

If you really want to test out transcoding - yes a hardware UPnP/DLNA client would work (you have to use an older copy of TVersity with a DirecTV receiver however).

There is another long way you can check it out:

Open the profiles.xml file for TVersity ( in xp %PROGRAMFILES%\TVersity\Media Server or in Vista/7 %PROGRAMDATA%\TVersity\Media Server )
Look for a device you want to use and copy the id

Download and install VLC client and then open it

Back in firefox - open the html based TVersity interface (usually http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:41952/medialib/browse)
Navigate in the browser to where the movie is located (as an example: Video>Video Indexes>All )

In the address bar you notice the address contains something like ‘id=/x/x/x…&pfid=&…’ - the pfid is the parameter you are interested in - paste in the id you copied from profiles and hit enter on the address. When it comes back if you hover of the links - they should look different and you can copy that link into VLC - you should see transcoding and streaming in TVersity status (unless it has already been transcoded and is being streamed from the cache)

If you search here for DirecTV you’ll probably get a version number that people agree is working for them. Then Google MIGHT get you a link to it at places where downloads are archived. Beware of fakes since for some reason not all links to TVersity downloads are legit…

1 of the most effective widgets that you can get for Sensation is the climate widget, but in some cases, it has the difficulty of being incapable to update by itself One particular of the more recent configurations with regard to diamond cluster bands works by using numerous smaller sized expensive diamonds grouped jointly to provide the actual visual appeal of the patience If your NOT a Bass Head as Beats implies, and want the best imaging and sound stage of anything I have tried, check out Audiotechnica ATH AD 700 Sac Chanel You can show your support by giving a missed call to 08030088425 The biggest change the duffle coat has witnessed over the years has been the variety of colours it nowes in So you may have started playing guitar, learning the necessary skills to get yourself going, and now you’re on the hunt for easy metal songs to play on guitar
The Falcon and the Bull: A Wide Screen Shootout October 4, 2006 at 8:30 pm - Review: Wide screen gaming is becoming the standard way to play games If you follow these steps, you will be able to make beats on your computer in absolutely no time at all, I can see you shining from here Better beats ahead The one billionth song - Coldplay’s “Speed of Sound” was sold on February 23, 2006 mulberry uk bags , Fabulous Facts on the Orchestra its groundbreaking of mobile knowhow, so when we heard they have been releasing a 3D handset we ended up beside ourselves with anticipation 1 headphones Out distortions; measured via Xonar STX lineout I know that does not make it easier, what you should do though is fallow your instincts and find out what is going on
If Kyrie Irving is not a unanimous choice for 2012 Rookie of the Year some journalists voting rights should be revoked 29:11 this promise was given to Jewish exiles living in Babylon in the first half of the 6th century BC The duffle coat is made from a heavy wool cloth called duffle, originally manufactured in the town of Antwerp in Belgium 2013mulberryukonlineshop.co.uk The State of the PC October 9, 2006 at 6:53 am - Commentary: As the era of multicore CPUs and Windows Vista becomes mainstream, it worth considering how far we come how far we have to go Executive of the Year: Neil Olshey, Los Angeles Clippers Train journey between the Russian capital and Saint Petersburg by “Sapsan” takes about 3
Once, an ambassador at the UN working for the US as our representative, threw a drunken punch at me and I deftly stepped aside and helped him to gently fall to the ground If I am inside a really bad state I may need to listen to it twice but never a lot more than that Oh, there are dustups and whatnot, but when the dust settles, nothing has changed 2013mulberrybagssaleoutletonline.co.uk chief exec says is missing from their portfolio and Mendes has mastered on the red carpet) Custom and border checks are conducted onboard the train Vista Sidebar will introduce them to millions of users
Not just for humans, the Divine Protection line also extends to charm for your pets to wear on their collars Here is the current schedule the MPSeminars website Addresses are a lot more of the problem, but using the introduction of sat beats at least all we need to do is recall the postcode mulberry bag sale This isn’t the Tegra 4powered contraption we were told about, though Now arriving just in time to tackle winter, the ultimate allweather athlete the new Chrysler 300 Glacier is available for the discriminating yet uncompromising driver The community offers a safe, familyfriendly quality of life, which is only enhanced by the university, says Overby
Little by little the sharks are biting off the outside of the raft In fact, it wouldn’t be impossible to think that one day, smartphones could get through other mobile phones to end up obsolete That means movieimage reproduction on every G10 is exactly the way the filmmaker intended, giving viewers the ultimate cinemalike experience 2013mulberrybagsonlineoutlet.co.uk In the morning, the fog over the Moscow River is so thick that the spires over the Stalinistera “wedding cake skyscrapers” are barely visible, and it is even harder to make out the imposing figures of the Sculpture Garden at Krymsky Val, next to the New Tretyakov Gallery of modern and contemporary art the wedding attire the whole day and perform a number of tasks is certainly not a joke Though not set on the lake, and not one to host PGA or LPGA we were delighted with the red headed Irish step child