iPhone 4 - higher resolution supported?

I was wondering if the support for the iPhone includes taking advantage of the higher resolution of the Retina display on the iPhone 4. Where this could really come into play is if you have an HD source file to begin with. But if the profile for the iPhone just uses the lowest common denominator (e.g. an iPod screen), you wouldn’t get the best possible picture.

I would expect that iPad users would have the same question.

TVersity lets you set the size of the transcoded output, so if your server can create a larger version without choking you’ll get what you want…

Thanks Mike. Where do you set that? The main UI has one setting for transcoding, and it’s not device dependent. If I set it to be optimal for an iPhone it won’t look so good when it transcodes something for my big screen TV. Is there somewhere else I should adjust transcode resolution specifically for an iPhone? It’s been a couple years since I’ve really messed with TVersity much, but I seem to remember that I had to edit the profile for my PS3 (based on forum posts). And the PS3 has changed over the years as Sony added support for more and more codecs. Makes me wonder if the profile edits I made two years ago might be obsolete and causing issues with today’s build.

Unfortunately, I’m not aware of any device-specific transcoding setting that will let you have 960x640 for an iPhone 4 and 720x480 for something else.

AND I looked at profiles.xml for version 0.9.11.4 which I use here and it says 640x480 is the maxVideoInfo for the iPhone, so make sure you review the entry in the version you are using and check that. I’m not sure what will happen if you have competing settings in TVersity.

You only need to settle for something like 720x480 (or lower) if 960x640 is too much work, since the PS3 will upscale whatever it gets to fill your screen anyway. Perhaps the iPhone 4 also upscales???..