Last.fm support

Hi there,

first thanks for your awesome piece of software. I am using it since half an year and every new release I like it more. Quoting from somebody else on your forums: “it made my SL400i do what exactly what I buyed it for”.

Secondly, I have (of course) a couple of question: do you plan to have support for Last.fm both for ‘scrobbling’ played tracks to last.fm and also to play last.fm radio stations. I couldn’t find anything in the forums or FAQ.

The second one should be more simple: is it difficult to add a field ‘year’ in my audio section (based on ID3, just like ‘artist’ etc etc). By the way, will you use ID3v2 at same point ? Maybe you answered this on the forums, I have to admit I didn’t search extensively for this one.

Thanks and keep up the good work,
Andrea

[quote]Secondly, I have (of course) a couple of question: do you plan to have support for Last.fm both for ‘scrobbling’ played tracks to last.fm and also to play last.fm radio stations. I couldn’t find anything in the forums or FAQ. [/quote]We would like to at some point. We would of-course need their agreement and so if you can also generate some interest in their side (they have forums as well?) it will be great.

[quote]The second one should be more simple: is it difficult to add a field ‘year’ in my audio section (based on ID3, just like ‘artist’ etc etc). By the way, will you use ID3v2 at same point ? Maybe you answered this on the forums, I have to admit I didn’t search extensively for this one. [/quote]ID3v2 is very high priority for us so the answer is yes. Year is already supported but we just call it date added. This will include the ID3 year when it exists or if not then the date the song file was created.

Thanks for your answer. For the time being I have a workaround at least for the streaming part that may be useful to others as well, it’s a phyton program called LastFMProxy (at http://vidar.gimp.org/lastfmproxy/). It dumps the stream to an mp3 file that can be added to TVersity, it also allows to save stations as m3u playlists.

This is something I would very much like to see. In fact, having just got TVersity working on my system to my XBox360, it’s the reason I came seeking the forums, to see if this was supported, or intended.

Definitely a feature that’s very important to me.

Do you mean ID3v2 or last.fm?

Oh, gosh, sorry, I was referring to Last.FM which is just a genius bit of the web.

How did you make this work abarsanti?

I’ve got the Last.FM Proxy installed and operational. I can access it directly via my web browser.

I created an .M3U file that plays fine when I 2x click it on my PC. It gets loaded up into WinAmp as I’d expect. But when I add the containing folder to TVersity, it can’t be loaded through IE6. I’ve tried a few different formats of content in the .M3U file, such as customise stations, but it’s only WinAmp that seems to like it.

I want to access this from my XBox360, so I need to add a folder containing the .M3U file, rather than adding a URL or feed, as far as I can tell from my experiments today.

I think I have this working now. I’ve created individual .M3U files for each Last.FM radio station; Personal, Neighbourhood, Loved Tracks. I then added each file individually to TVersity via Add/File…I daresay I could add other categories and groups this way too.

Unfortunately, when I select the nicely named Playlist file under XBox360, I end up with a song named “mp3” LOL! Still, playing that ‘song’ works, although every now and then it won’t, and I get the red no-entry image showing. Trying again usually works however.

It does seem to continue playing after I select Stop, as I’m seeing tracks appearing in my current tracks display on Last.FM that I haven’t actually heard. e.g. I select a different file to listen to (I’m experimenting with podcasts at the moment for example).

Edit - ahh, because it’s still d/l-ing the podcast, it isn’t actually changing track. If I select another album that is fully served by TVersity, the Last.FM stream is properly disconnected it seems.

Here is the contents of my .M3U file if anybody is interested:

http&#58;//<IPAddressHere>&#58;1881/user/<YourUserNameHere>/personal/LastFM&#46;mp3

Replace with the IP address (or machine name maybe?) of the PC running the LastFMProxy s/w.
Replace with your Last.FM username.

Now, if I could just have TVersity scrobble my listening data for the files it directly serves to my XBox360 back to the Last.FM, I’d be sorted.

I’d just like to add another voice that thinks having TVersity able to scrobble would be extremely helpful. Since getting my X360 and setting up TVersity, I only listen to my music through my Xbox now, so it’s been a slight inconvenience having my last.fm profile be a bit neglected lately :) . If it was possible even to just allow developers to hook into the now playing metadata, I’d very happily create a last.fm plugin to work with TVersity.

We will look into this some more and hopefully be able to implement something in future releases.

I too would really like last.fm scobble support :)

Does tversity know what user is active on the xbox? Wouldn’t want my girlfriends music habits added to my last.fm account you know ;)

Add someone else for wanting integration to last.fm and more importantly for me scrobbling of audio tracks played. It should be quite easy.

See:

http://www.audioscrobbler.net/development/ :)

Thanks.

I’d be in heaven if I could scrobble tracks played to last.fm via TVersity.

Heaven.

Someone make it happen!

[quote=“sleepn2zero9”]I’d be in heaven if I could scrobble tracks played to last.fm via TVersity.

Heaven.

Someone make it happen![/quote]
I was bored this evening so wrote something to do this. It doesn’t require the LastFM proxy and has a simple browser front end to display the currently playing artist/album/track, plus lyrics where available. It doesn’t currently support skip/love/ban, but beggars can’t be choosers :wink:

Note to avoid confusion: This currently only plays and scrobbles LastFM stations, it does NOT scrobble tracks played from your own music library. The latter should be fairly easy however, if I can be bothered in future.

I’m just investigating if it’s possible to distribute it for use on machines which don’t have php or a web server installed. If not, I’ll have to find a free host…

I just wanted to bring up this topic again. Is this feature still in development? I would love to use LastFM on my PS3.
For now it would also be great if somebody writes a howto for LastFM via the LastFMProxy, which I’ve got running on the PC, but I can’t start any links on the PS3.
In the TVersity-FAQ’s is a short sentence about TVersity and LastFM, it says you’ve got to use LastFMProxy, but it would be great if it would be more specific…
Thanks,
ZaphodB

would really love this facility too

[quote=“zaphodb72”]I just wanted to bring up this topic again. Is this feature still in development? I would love to use LastFM on my PS3.
For now it would also be great if somebody writes a howto for LastFM via the LastFMProxy, which I’ve got running on the PC, but I can’t start any links on the PS3.
In the TVersity-FAQ’s is a short sentence about TVersity and LastFM, it says you’ve got to use LastFMProxy, but it would be great if it would be more specific…
Thanks,
ZaphodB[/quote]

FYI LobsterTunes http://lobstertunes.com will let you scrobble your TVersity tracks when you play them through your Windows Mobile Device.

That’s not what I want to do; I want to stream my last.fm-channel or eant to choose an artist and let last.fm play similar music over my ps3.

Give this a shot, it won’t scrobble your own music but it will scrobble lasfm stations as you listen to them on your console or PC: http://www.silentmemory.co.uk/lastfm/

It’s written using the old audioscrobbler protocol so no love/ban functionality, but on the plus side you should get lyrics for the currently playing track ;)

I’d love to have TVersity scrobble my tracks while I’m streaming from the mediaserver. I really like using Last.fm, but I play tracks streamed from TVersity all the time to my PS3 or 360 and none of these tracks get scrobbled. So, I lose out on the profile info…

The protocol and dev guide for Last.fm are posted earlier in this thread and they look fairly easy to implement, but I don’t know how to interface with the MediaServer to find out what tracks are currently being streamed. If I had access to that data, it’d be a simple matter to get them scrobbled. Is there a way to have the MediaServer tell me what tracks are currently being streamed? Or even what files?

EDIT: To clarify a little further, I have my collection of music ripped to my media computer so that I may stream them to devices using TVersity. I’d like to either write an app that polls (or receives an event from) TVersity and Scrobbles the track info to Last.fm or get the feature implimented.

Thanks!

EDIT: kicks himself to proofread