Quality vs Smoothness

I think you guys have done a great job to get this project to such an advanced stage. Well done and thankyou.

Regarding the Wii specifically, i think that it’s not possible to succeed. The Wii seems to be a limiting factor in playing back video. Your choices seem to be Quality or Smoothness.

I messed with the settings a fair bit to find the ‘perfect’ config where the quality is at maximum and there was little or no jump/skip.

I went so far as to order a LAN adaptor to try and eliminate the wireless card as a limiting factor.

In the end, it seems that there is something about the Wii that limits the quality. Maybe it’s the processor, or maybe the RAM, maybe it’s a flash thing. Either way it seems that this isn’t going to work out on the Wii.

Could it be viewing it through the browser? I’m going to put my money on that one…

No, the Wii will probably not stream your videos as well as you’d like through a browser window, so if it is a priority, buy a dev kit and design a streaming client for WiiWare.

I agree, this just doesn’t work for video at present. I tried turning the video size down so that it is miniscule to try and make sure it wasn’t a network problem, and the video would play smoothly but the sound would still have these little skips. Has anyone had it work perfectly smoothly playing video, regardless of quality?

Wii video is played via Flash player and this is the limiting factor. Flash on the Wii can only play in low quality. Flash can play high quality video on very powerful PCs but the Wii is not powerful enough for that particular purpose. Having said that audio should work well and low-res video (such as YouTube and even VHS quality video) should also work well. You cannot however do DVD quality video, this is indeed a limitation of the platform.

Hi, and thanks for letting us know where the problem lies.

I’m playing videos on the WII using Opera and the TVersity flashlib interface. Is there a way to lower the quality of the stream to make it easier for the WII to play? Sacrificing image quality for framerate, so to speak.

[quote=“Hoffe”]
I’m playing videos on the WII using Opera and the TVersity flashlib interface. Is there a way to lower the quality of the stream to make it easier for the WII to play? Sacrificing image quality for framerate, so to speak.[/quote]

Hi Hoffe,

If you go to the Settings tab in Tversity and then choose Transcoder on the left you can edit the quality of the stream. I have had a right good mess about with the resolution and quality/speed settings in here and really cannot get it to function very well.

It appears as quoted above that playing video via flash is not going to work very well on the wii due to its hardware limitations…

Cheers,

Andy

The wii doesn’t stream well not becuse of a hardware problem, but because of the transcoder. I used a program called Wii media centre X by red kawa that streamed way better quality video than tversity, the only difference between Tversity and Wii MCX is that MCX didn’t transcode(it came with a converter), and that it only streamed 5 minutes worth of a movie. I used the same converter with TVersity so as to only stream the video’s and presto-got the best parts of both programs- good streaming and good quality (at least better than TVersity transcoding). If you’re interested, the link for the converter is http://www.download.com/Wii-Video-9/300 … tag=button

How did you integrate/use the Kawa video converter with TVersity??

The reasoning behide the poor wii playback is revolves around the browser software and how it implements flash / flash video. The flash version the wii browser uses is a pretty old version that was developed during the birth of internet video.

It’s not related to the hardware of the wii as you can encode high quality video VIA Red Kawa’s ‘Wii Video 9’ and play it back via the photo channel on an SD card and it will playback perfectly smoothly at DVD quality.

Therefore, what is really needed is an update to the internet channel that implements the latest version of flash / flash video. However Nintendo have previously stated that they have no plans to ever update the browser.

Light at the end of the tunnel perhaps comes from the BBC who recently implemented their iplayer to work with the Wii. In a statement they said they were hoping to EVENTUALLY allow use of the iplayer without the use of the Wii’s internet channel. I am speculating but perhaps they would make another channel? Or perhaps, a browser upgrade, that would allow better flash video streaming?

Anyway the only way you’ll see better video VIA the wii, is if someone designs a Wiiware Media application (and Nintendo approve that, unlikely?).

Alternatively let’s see if we can make Nintendo Change its mind! Sign the Petition below…

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Upda ... etChannel/

Well, now that Tversity is aware of this issue (this MUST be moderated), hopefully they willpush hard to fix this issue with transcoding poor quality vids!

I tried this Red Kawa converter, which claims that it is converting your videos to the "ideal format" for your Wii. With default settings all it did was output my AVIs as different AVIs, with larger file sizes, and no quality improvement. If you read the Media Center X guide (which consists of about 6 sentences) it becomes clear you should tweak the converter settings to output FLV (Flash Video) but I tried that too and all it seemed to do was output dramatically lower-quality video that played more smoothly but looked really bad and still had a few audio tics.

Basically this Red Kawa stuff is just an AVI to FLV converter which probably isn’t the best one out there and is splattered with obnoxious advertisements. Their streaming tool is basically just a mini web server that delivers the unaltered media directly to the browser.

My suggestion is don’t waste your time on this–if I find any combination of settings that does anything other than make the garbage smell less slightly stinky, I will post them here.

Hi,

I wish i would have found this forum before… but. i have a question for DagWx

You mentioned using “the same converter” with TVersity so as to only stream the video’s and presto-got the best parts of both programs- good streaming and good quality (at least better than TVersity transcoding).

How did you do that? I downloaded MCX(9) but am unsure of what you did…