Tversity - Making it Work for PS3 *updated 11/23/09

[quote]NOTE: 11/23/09 [size=150]\\SOME THINGS STILL NEED UPDATING… Most of what is posted here is relevant however, going forward I HIGHLY suggest [color=#0000FF]NOT installing the additional software and codecs included with Tversity.[/color] I have some router advice to add (see LAST post) but for now, some updates have been made. I’ll continue to edit it this week…

Also, [color=#FF0000]rather than the codec pack included in Tversity, USE CCCP[/color] (combined community codec pack) found here: http://www.cccp-project.net/download.php?type=cccp

[color=#408000]This MUST be installed PRIOR to Tversity and a RESTART MUST be done (because of codec registry entries) in order for it to work.[/color][/size]

Lastly, [color=#BF4000]DO NOT START TVERSITY MEDIA SERVER (UNCHECK THE BOX @ END OF INSTALL) BEFORE A SYSTEM RESTART[/color] (again, registry entries). This ensures proper functionality.

[size=150] ********IF YOU SEE THE WORDS [color=#FF0000]REBOOT[/color] or [color=#FF0000]RESTART[/color], THEY ARE THERE FOR A REASON :)[/size]
[size=150]********IF YOU SEE THE WORDS [color=#FF4000]“DON’T”, “DO NOT” OR “LEAVE IT ALONE”[/color], HEED THE WARNING.[/size]
[size=150]********IF YOU SEE WORDS THAT ARE [/size][size=200][color=#FF0000]HUGE[/color][/size][size=150] IN [color=#0000BF]BOLD, COLORED[/color] LETTERS, THERE IS A REASON[/size][/quote]

[color=#FF0000][size=150][quote]_____________________________________START:[/quote][/color][/size]

STEP 1: FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS, READ THOROUGHLY, DON’T ASK A QUESTION I’VE ALREADY ANSWERED :)
1A) DON’T BOTHER ASKING ME ANY QUESTIONS IF a) Your not using [color=#FF0000]edit 11/23/09 THE LASTEST VERSION of Tversity FOUND HERE: http://tversity.com/download.[/color] The newer version is very bug-free and resolved the “services.msc/logon” issue (in most cases). or b)you plan on taking various unconfirmed recommendations from others (who btw are asking questions, too, and therefore can’t seem to get it right yet :)) or c) aren’t going to follow the steps.

1B) For the last time, this is ONLY for PS3 and ONLY for Windows. MAC users, whateva, no hatin’ on Apple, no beef w/Linux, that’s just not what I’m doing here. :) Don’t bitch cuz I don’t have a guide in here for Tversity running on your iPhone & Xbox on a Linux network. That’s why its called “making it work on the {freaking} PS3”. (some linux dude is gonna gimme the linux superiority speech after this, I just know it).

1C) If you are still complaining about garbled sound from the AC3 FILTER after you read this, [color=#FF0000]then you didn’t read this.[/color] You will be removing AC3. If it still comes up (your little thing in the system tray…) then you didn’t uninstall it.

1D) I suggest that *during the entire process you do NOT have your PS3 on
[color=#FF0000]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]

[size=200][color=#FF8000][quote]=========DEBUNKING=======THE====HAALI=======MYTH=================================[/quote][/color][/size]
edit 11/23/09 1E) I keep hearing this around the forums, so let me put a stop to it once and for all [color=#FF0000][size=150]DON’T REMOVE OR DISABLE HAALI FILTER OR CHANGE THE SETTINGS IN CCCP[/size][/color] BECAUSE SOME DORK TOLD YOU TO and [color=#FF0000]then ask why MKV files won’t work[/color]. [color=#0000FF][size=150]You need it to play MKV.[/size][/color] Its in the CCCP. [color=#408000]Don’t install it separately, don’t touch it, don’t even think about it.[/color]
There is an issue with a certain setting (NOT Haali) affecting subtitle playback - this is addressed at the END of the guide. READ thoroughly and DON’T follow that OTHER guy’s advice on correcting subtitles.

[color=#0000FF]STILL DON’T BELIEVE ME ABOUT HAALI? VISIT THE CREATOR’S WEBPAGE: http://www.matroska.org , it’ll tell you ALL about Matroska(MKV) and even gives you a link to his codec…Haali Media Splitter http://matroska.org/downloads/windows.html (under “Filters”…right below the link for CCCP).[/color]

Now, please shut up about Haali breaking MKV files.

[size=200][color=#FF8000]* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * [/color][/size]

[size=150][color=#FF0000][quote]**********************************************SECTION 2: REQUIRED DOWNLOADS[/quote][/color][/size]

1. Download the latest version of Tversity here : http://tversity.com/download/

***EDIT 11/23/09 2) Download CCCP here: http://www.cccp-project.net/download.php?type=cccp if you haven’t done it already
3) YES, YES, AND YES, you ONLY need CCCP. DO NOT INSTALL A CRAP-TON OF OTHER CODECS AND THEN ASK WHY IT WON’T WORK. Its because you didn’t read.
3a) Additionally, if you wish to play Real Media Files (RVMB) you can install Real Alternative: http://codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm. This can and SHOULD be (if used) installed immediately after CCCP; restart after both are installed.

1. Download Media Player Classic here: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Media_Player_Classic.htm Don’t worry - this is only for testing you don’t have to use it forever (although it completely smokes MP11 in my opinion). [color=#FF8000]NOTE: Media Player Classic is NOT necessary to make Tversity work, but I recommend using it because any incompatibility issues w/codecs can be easily identified by test running the file in question w/MPC[/color] [color=#FF8000](there is an option to install this WITH the CCCP; you don’t need to download it separately if you prefer)[/color]
    [b][color=#FF0000]
  2. STOPSTOPSTOP*********** DON’T INSTALL ANYTHING[/color][/b]

[size=150][color=#FF0000][quote]**********************************************SECTION 3: INSTALLATION & REBOOT, REBOOT, REBOOT :)[/quote][/color][/size]

1. The first thing you need to do is uninstall any codecs you’ve ever installed. This means uninstalling anything that installs its own codecs. PS NERO IS A KNOWN ISSUE. It installs its own codecs for use in audio/video conversion for making those convenient pirate CDs and DVDs for you. I do not use Nero, so I am unsure if you can deselect installation of the codecs. I hate Nero, so the only advice I can give is use something else. Most conversion programs (I use Xilisoft programs a lot) use a codec package that borrows from your default package and may use its own program-specific codecs, in other words they don’t interfere w/your “other/tversity” codecs that we’re concerned w/here.

[color=#FF0000]edit 11/23/09 STEP 7 IS NOW HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. CLEAN YOUR REGISTRY. ITS DIRTY.[/color]
7) [color=#40BF00]REBOOT[/color]. After rebooting after the UNinstall, [color=#FF0000]I recommend using a registry cleaner.[/color] Right now I’m using McAfee’s because it’s easy and effective. This is not required, but if you do it REBOOT AGAIN AFTER THE REG CLEAN.

8) *THIS IS KEY* [b]DO NOT INSTALL TVERSITY FIRST[/b].*edit 11/23/09* [color=#FF0000]Install your codecs first.[/color]. * [b]do not change any of the default settings[/b] - again this will void your karnag3 warranty :)**

Why in this order? edit 11/23/09 Basically, registry entries. If you don’t know what this means, or don’t get it, then don’t worry about it. Just follow the instructions EXACTLY and you’ll be fine.
[size=150]
[color=#FF0000]Do NOT install Tversity before you reboot.
Do NOT install Tversity before you reboot.[/color][/size]

1. [color=#40BF00]REBOOT[/color]. Do NOT install Tversity before you reboot. Why you say? "blah blah but but but tversity installs the codecs at the same time" …yeah and the Tversity service is not running while that is done. This is key. If the program tries to access the codecs prior to reboot, it may cause issues, specifically w/registry errors.
    [size=150]10) Install Tversity.[/size] [color=#FF0000][size=150]If you installed Tversity before you got HERE, then start over.[/size] Installation order is very relevant.[/color]
  2. Add your folders/files to Tversity and make sure to select the file/folder and select Transcoding / When Needed under the Advanced tab. [color=#FF0000]SUGGESTED reboot[/color]

[size=150][color=#FF0000][quote]**********************************************SECTION 4: POST-INSTALL SETUP & MKV SUPPORT :)[/quote][/color][/size]

12)[color=#FF0000] IF YOU WANT TO WATCH HD/MKV FILES AT THE HIGHEST-POSSIBLE RESOLUTION W/OUT STUTTERING[/color]Edit 11/23/09 - this section used to be some rant about making MKV files work. LOOK, the biggest problem is that most people can’t accept that regardless of the fact that they may be running 8 video cards, 20 Intel Quad Cores and a terabyte of RAM, they still can’t FORCE a standard home network to run 15MB/s bitrates @ 1920x1080 resolution. Well, too bad. Accept it.
I recommend 1280x720 (720p) for HD resolutions at the highest, and only IF either your PC or PS3 (or both) are on a wired connection. If they’re both wireless, I don’t care if you OWN a satellite, forget it.

What you must understand is that for streaming, the PS3 maxes out at about 10MB/s wired (ethernet 10/100) and around 8.5-9MB/s wireless and the higher you push the resolution, the higher the bitrate. 1280x720 works great, and it looks awesome on my 42" plasma.

Still having issues? READ SECTION 7.
[color=#FF0000]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[/color]
[color=#0000FF]The next step is optional, but recommended[/color]
[color=#FF0000]13) Reboot and make sure that every file type works correctly w/Media Player Classic.[/color] edit 11/23/09 This is totally optional, but a good test step. NOTE: In Vista, WMP11 (NOT Media Player Classic) doesn’t like to “see” the Haali codec and so MKV sometimes won’t play. This is why MPC is used.
Assuming that all is kosher and your videos play in MPC correctly, you should be good to go. HOWEVER, if for some reason Tversity doesn’t start w/Windows then follow this guide, (which was also posted in a note above):

[size=150][color=#FF0000][quote]**********************************************SECTION 5: WINDOWS LOGON ISSUES - SERVER STARTUP ISSUES[/quote][/color][/size]
****EDIT 11/23/09 *** This step is no longer necessary. If you are having issues with the server starting itself on start-up, set it to manual, restart, try starting it manually after restart.

If this doesn’t work, you likely had “Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service” (media sharing) enabled during Tversity install. Too bad. Start over, but next time open “services.msc” (Windows button + R key for Run box, then type services.msc, hit enter, find the correct service) and disable “Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service” THEN install Tversity.

If this STILL doesn’t work, post a comment.

[size=150][color=#FF0000][quote]**********************************************SECTION 6: GARBLED SOUND, AC3 FILTER AND TOO MANY CODECS[/quote][/color][/size]

YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE INSTALLED AC3 FILTER, OR SHOULD HAVE UNINSTALLED EARLIER WHEN I REQUESTED THAT YOU UNINSTALL ALL YOUR OLD CODECS

The primary cause of garbled sound w/Tversity, as many know, is due to overlapping audio codecs. This is due to you not uninstalling, or uninstallation failing for, old codecs.

The 2nd cause is almost always AC3 Filter. YOU DO NOT NEED AC3 FILTER, IF ITS INSTALLED, START OVER, uninstall it all and and install from scratch. Suggested: USE A REGISTRY CLEANER after uninstalling and before reinstalling.

If you have garbled sound in BOTH WMP AND TVERSITY (DURING STREAMING) then you likely have a bad audio codec and/or AC3 Filter installed. If you have garbled sound ONLY when streaming, this is because you have MULTIPLE AUDIO CODECS handling the SAME file type and Tversity doesn’t know what codec to use.

I swear if anyone else says “AC3 Filter is causing me garbled sound” I’m gonna scream. Please read thoroughly :)

[color=#FF0000]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]

[size=150][color=#FF0000][quote]***************************************SECTION PRE-7: WHAT NEEDS TO BE TRANSCODED? [/quote](added 11/23/09)[/color][/size]
The following file types are natively supported (i.e. can be played directly BY) the PS3:
MP4 - ONLY H.264 compliant with AAC audio (i.e. an Apple-ish MP4)
MPEG 1 & 2 - AVI’s that have MPEG 1/2 video streams with MP3 or AAC audio usually play fine
AVI - Now, this is hit/miss at best. AVI comes in as many forms as good beer: Divx, Xvid, standard AVI, MP4 in AVI… the list goes on.

That’s it. Anything else MUST be transocoded. I know, I know, someone out there is crying about how PS3 plays FLASH. WRONG. The browser has a plug-in that allows you to view SOME Flash, specifically YouTube. This is NOT a codec, it will NOT play Flash video streams from Tversity. Flash and other internet video MUST be transcoded. What does THIS mean? When adding the RSS feed or internet URL for an internet-based video, [color=#0000BF]select the “Advanced” tab on that folder and put transcoding on “Always”.[/color]

[color=#0000BF]I’d suggest doing the SAME for MKV files[/color] and maybe even putting them in their OWN folder to isolate them from non-transcode-requiring files.

[color=#FF0000]Setting the folder to “Always” for transcoding is the #1 resolution for most people’s “Data Corrupt” messages with MKV & MP4 files.[/color]

[size=150][color=#FF0000][quote]**********************************************SECTION 7: HD TECHNICAL ISSUES[/quote][/color][/size]

Before you ask:

1. Yes. You ONLY need edit 11/23/09 CCCP codec pack.
  2. NO. You [color=#FF0000]do NOT need (and shouldn’t use) AC3 Filter[/color] any longer. PCM & other file types handled by AC3 are handled by edit 11/23/09 CCCP.
  3. NO. HD Video is not currently possible w/Tversity @ a 1920x1080 format, edit 11/23/09 but is possible @ 1280x720 (720p). Why? See "Frame Rate, Bit Rate & Streaming Limitations" below.
  4. IF YOU WANT SOMETHING OTHER THAN 2.0 CHANNEL SOUND, YOU CAN CONFIGURE THIS IN edit 11/23/09 CCCP CODEC, but keep in mind the default setting is 2.0. This is the most common complaint from people with sound issues, other than garbled sound. Also, this can be tweaked in the FFDShow pack included in CCCP, found under the Start menu, CCCP, Filters, Audio Decoder settings… but if you don’t ALREADY know what you’re doing, leave it alone.
  5. You do not need to configure ANY of the codecs installed to get MKV / HD files to work. [color=#FF0000]You can (AND SHOULD) leave them with default settings.[/color] edit 11/23/09: Just leave the damn default settings alone. They work fine. [color=#FF0000]DO NOT mess with Haali settings; [/color]you never need to touch this codec once its installed.
    [color=#FF0000]___________________________________________________________________________________[/color]

A little formula to explain WHY you can’t use full scale HD resolution
[b]Frame rate x file size x video bit rate x audio bit rate = streamed packet size. In other words, the higher your resolution of the transcoded video, the larger the amount of video required to sufficiently buffer before the video plays; i.e. large resolutions=higher likelihood of stuttering.
[/b]

[size=150]

[quote]A little formula to explain WHY you can’t use full scale HD resolution
[b]Frame rate x file size x video bit rate x audio bit rate = streamed packet size. In other words, the higher your resolution of the transcoded video, the larger the amount of video required to sufficiently buffer before the video plays; i.e. large resolutions=higher likelihood of stuttering.[/quote]
[/b]
FRAME RATE, BIT RATE & STREAMING LIMITATIONS
The frame rate for HD when combined with the necessary bit rate for HD results in a much higher (than “standard” video) packet size, and therefore a higher stream rate (hit select while watching a video on PS3 and you’ll see a “bit rate” measurement in the upper right corner - this is your stream rate). This means the PS3 would need to accept a streamed video rate of approximately 12-15MB/s in order to run HD.

PS3 LIMITATIONS ON VIDEO STREAMING
Right now, the cap appears to be between 8.5 - 10MB/s. I don’t know if this is a limitation of the PS3 network config, the network adapter (in the PS3) or if its a PS3-end processing issue. I can assure you that if you can watch the video @ a certain bit rate/resolution on your PC, then you can stream it at the same rate, in most cases, however, the size of the buffer required to watch such a video from a network stream increases dramatically when you factor in transcoding and high resolutions. The PS3 does not appear to be able to buffer at higher than a 10MB/s rate on streamed video, and this is why you get stuttering.

CAN I ADJUST MY PS3-END NETWORK SETTINGS TO IMPROVE THIS?
The one thing that seems to happen over and over with both PS3 and Xbox 360 and Tversity is that one day Tversity will work, and the next it won’t. Sometimes, after many restarts of the server, the PS3/360 and the router, it eventually works. I’ve isolated an issue that may or may not affect you but that you can make sure to avoid. The PS3 uses a UDP ports 3478, 3479, 3074, 3075 and 3658 for various connections. One of these is necessary for accessing the Media Server and if it is in use on the router by another IP address, it WILL NOT connect to Tversity. Some routers do NOT drop the UDP port right away and may keep it open (advertisement period) for up to 30 minutes by default. This is a function of UPnP and can be your friend, but WILL be your enemy if your PS3’s last-used IP happens to be taken by another device on the network. To solve this, set your PS3 to use a specific IP on your network via your Network Settings on the PS3. Then set your router to “reserve” that IP address. It does NOT matter if you are on wireless on the PS3, you will usually need to reserve the address under your LAN connections. While this is supposed to be only for LAN, if you reserve IP address 192.168.1.X for MAC address AB:12:CD:34:XX:00 (YOUR PS3’s MAC address) it will only be given out when that MAC connects. If you don’t have address reservation on your router, simply use an IP address that’s rather high up like 192.168.1.150. This ensures that the address will not be given out by automatic IP assignment by the router as the router assigns IPs in numerical order…unless you have 149 other devices connected, you’ll be okay. (**edit 11/24/09)

EDIT 11/23/09
I GET A “DATA CORRUPT” MESSAGE WHEN I TRY TO PLAY SOMETHING
The most common cause of this is one of three things:

1. This is a file type that must be transcoded, but the folder its in in Tversity Library is either set to N/A, Never, or When Needed for transcoding. Double-click the folder in Tversity Library and hit the “Advanced” button and set it to “Always”. RESTART the media server. Don’t know if the file needs to be transcoded? Read below.

2. You’ve changed SOMETHING about the library, such as the folder name where the file is held, or for some reason the library has lost its marbles. Correct this in Tversity by going to Settings/Media Library and hit “Recreate Library”. This can take a LONG time, so alternatively, you cant TRY deleting then re-adding the folder where the file is held, then RESTART the media server.

3. The file needs to and HAS been transcoded before but you stopped part way through. This can be done, but its hit-and-miss whether it’ll play again where you left off; some AVIs will allow it, but that’s about it (usually Divx and/or Xvid but still hit/miss). Go to Tversity/Settings/General, Temporary Media Files, VIEW files, then delete the entire contents of this folder (unless you know the SPECIFIC file that was for the video in question). RESTART the media server, try again.

EDIT 11/23/09
MKV SUBTITLES DON’T WORK

Copied from this guide: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=27398
[color=#FF0000](DO NOT FOLLOW THAT GUIDE IN THE LINK, JUST THE STEPS BELOW - PART OF IT IS VERY WRONG)[/color]
[i]Step 3. Navigate to Start > Programs > Combined Community Codec Pack > Filters > VSFilter. On the ‘General’ tab, under ‘Loading’, chose ‘Do Not Load’. Press OK and close the window. This ensures VSFilter never loads, although if you use the same computer for playback when not on your PS3, you can change this back to ‘Load when needed’ later.

Step 4. Navigate to Start > Programs > Combined Community Codec Pack > Filters > FFDShow Video Decoder Configuration. Scroll down to ‘Subtitles’ and check the box beside it. In the window on the right (with ‘Subtitles’ selected), check ‘Accept embedded subtitles’, ‘Accept SSA, ASS, and ASS2 subtitles (experimental)’, and ‘Decode closed captions’. Also uncheck ‘Letterbox’. Press OK and close the window.[/i]REBOOT AFTER THIS CHANGE.

I INSTALLED AC3 FILTER AND MY SOUND IS ALL GARBLED
Do not pass go. Do NOT collect $200. [color=#FF0000]FAIL. Start over.[/color] READ this time.

---------------------------------------------------------last edit 11/24/09

KarnaG3 :
Im completely stumped on this mkv/ac3 issue.

I used your initial post walk-through a couple of weeks back, and the ac3 audio was never right when it needed to be (or at least the occasions i had problems that was the audio used). I followed the instructions to the letter that time, and had these problems. On Saturday i needed a fresh OS install, so when setting this all up nothing had been installed, only sound & gfx drivers, no VLC or owt else. I have the same issues still, and i intend on doing a new OS install at the weekend (OS issues, so checked on a seperate HDD, seems fine so im installing properly onto my raptor this time).

In ffdshow audio, i have…
Codecs: AC3 and PCM disabled (i’ve even gone as far as removing everything!)
Tray icons: Modern
OSD ticked (twice) top 4 enabled (0% left, 0% top, dont seem to be able to adjust this unlike video OSD)

In AC3filter -> System tab, i have…
Use AC3Filter for: PCM (ticked), AC3 (ticked), DTS (ticked), MPeg (blank), DVD (ticked), SPDIF (blank).
Filter merit: Prefer AC3Filter
Interface options: show tray icon (ticked)

I’ve rebooted the system twice, after various messing with settings just incase.

When i load up WMV11 (cos its cr*p and incapable of doing anything itself) to try an mkv file i get the video fine, no audio (not sure why), and in the toolbar i have Haali, ffd video, but NO ffd audio or ac3filter icon.
VLC plays it fine, as you’d expect, and without any help from ffd etc as its a proper peice of software unlike the retarded microsoft junk.
When i go through TV rc2 it doesnt use show any toolbar icons, i get the video fine but the screwed up audio. TVersity ‘Status’ says its streaming as mpg, transcoding mkv to mpg | active | 0% (always stays at 0%).

Its getting particularly frustraiting really, and the fact that its refusing to show the audio icons in the system tray in my mind says something clearly isnt right here. Normally i’d use GSpot when i have codec issues, but i cant use that, and i dont wish to mess about converting the files to other formats, for the hassle i’d just get avi versions instead of mkv (and i dont know why im not now for the messing about im doing for them!)

I really dont see what i can be doing wrong, but thats everything i can think of to provide info that might be able to diagnose the issue.
My hardware is top end, network is fine, i can FFwd at 120 and hit play and have no issues, near instant load & play, its just this pesky ac3 thats doing my nut.

thx,
Paul
p.s. i’ve read the previous posts incase something someone has done has helped, and im obviously still stuck.

[quote="tversityftworl"][quote="KarnaG3"]ATTENTION: MKV AUDIO ISSUES /STUTTERING PROBLEMS

1. If your video is stuttering, you have probably not closely read my notes that EXPLICITLY STATE UNLESS YOU HAVE SOME SUPERCOMPUTER, TRANSCODING IN HD IS NOT GONNA HAPPEN [smoothly]. Do not try to transcode at 1980x1080 or whatever. I don’t care if your computer has its own exhaust system and a supercharger with 50GB of RAM or something rediculous. This is a BANDWIDTH limitation, NOT a processing limitation. Eat it. Or get fiberoptics installed. :)

2. Audio:
    a) If you aren’t using ONLY the EXACT codecs I’ve listed, stop here. I can’t help you. Don’t install 50 codecs to decode the same file type, audio or video. You only need one.

b)  Assuming you are using the Vista or XP codec pack w/AC3Filter, if you still have "garbled" sound (NOT no sound...wait for it...wait for it... ) you have a codec conflict.  Period.  I still think you most likely have a PCM or other file type handled by AC3Filter that is also selected to be handled by ffdshow audio.  Below is a screenshot of my FFDSHOW SETTINGS ***NOTE THE THINGS THAT ARE DISABLED**** NOTE THAT MP3 *IS* ENABLED:  even tho PS3 can decode it, it CAN'T decode it from the *transcoded* stream properly:

http://img520.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ap1db4.jpg http://img508.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ap2cc9.jpg http://img112.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ac3picaz8.jpg

Let me know what happens a) AFTER you change your settings to reflect mine b) make sure that AC3 settings reflect mine and c) you guessed it, reboot.

PS: If you have NO audio in WMP, you have NO codec set to handle the audio stream from the MKV. NOTE: Different MKV’s use different audio types. If one plays and has audio and the other doesn’t, right click on the file in WMP and select Properties to find out the codec used to decode the audio.[/quote]

installed tversity using your instructions from your first post to the letter. did it after a clean XP SP3 install. when streaming avi files to the PS3 the audio is garbled (low sounding and breaking up). followed these new instructions and still nothing. same issue. tried both restarting media service and restarting the entire PC after changing settings… nothing. tried removing k-lite, which I was using initially, and installed vista codecs (even though it’s the same ffdshow, AC3filter I guess), and still nothing.

TVersity is one of the most frustrating programs I’ve ever set up. granted this is a codec issue, but it’s one of many many many problems I’m having with TVersity.

• edit

noticed that when I play the file from Tversity, the ffsdshow audio tray icon appears despite AC3 settings being set to “disabled”. seems like it’s forcing the ffdshow audio decoder even though I specified it not to use it.[/quote]

If you didn’t do a fresh install and preferably a reboot then clean you registry of these programs - both the codecs AND Tversity try again.

You can’t just uninstall 1 codec pack and install another and expect it to work. Codecs are recognized by Tversity when you install Tversity…i.e. if you remove the codec pack that was installed initially (K-Lite) and then install a new codec pack WITHOUT uninstalling Tversity, for some reason Tversity still looks for the old codec pack.

Uninstall all of it, reboot, use a reg cleaner and install fresh.

EDIT

You noted that you followed my instructions to the letter. You did not. If you had, you would understand that changing codecs means starting from scratch. Just FYI.

I have experienced issues with AC3 audio and the only thing that would sort it out was uninstalling Nero. I even tried re-installing Nero without any codecs. Nero is now gone from my machine, replaced it with IMGBurn. :)

So if you have Nero - UNINSTALL I NOW and * reboot *

[quote="PaulC2K"][quote="KarnaG3"]
Have you done the profiles.xml tweak to change the PS3 settings from mpeg16 to mpeg2? Also, on the WMP settings under Transcoding in Tversity, what have you selected? What resolution do you have it transcoding at?[/quote]

I’ve just followed things from the previous post, and that hasnt made any difference, although now WMP11 shows the icons, the audio OSD, but then played through at at least 2x speed and no audio (and out of sync too judging by the progress bar).
Then i rebooted as suggested, back in and its as it was before, no audio, no OSD, normal playback, no audio related icons in toolbar.
PS3 is identical to before also, no icons at all when playing, gerbled audio, smooth playback.

Profiles.xml yes ive changed this, and only this mpeg16 to mpeg2 under Playstation3 section.
TVersity settings: Only when needed, decrease ticked, 640x480 (not arsed atm, least of my worries), use DS enabled, WMV9, quality opt, wired 100m high, minimum comp, decode ticked.

Ive installed nothing driver related from outside these instructions, rebooted every step.

Couple things that concern me:

1. Im getting no icons for ffdshow or ac3filter, seems rather odd when they used to pop up in the past.
  2. in Tversity ‘status’ streaming updates its progress but transcoding is always 0%, i dont know if thats fine or not, seems odd though.
  3. in AC3filter > System, you had ‘Default audio renderer’ as DS, i cant select either, nothing happens as a select them.
    X-fi drivers are installed, VLC plays everything perfectly, so im a little unsure what its problem is.[/quote]

I suggest removing all of your codecs & Tversity and starting from scratch.

That said, whether or not you do start from scratch, I’ve had the most luck w/using WMV8 w/Tversity, not WMV9.

PS - You will NOT get the ffdshow audio/video or ac3filter icons w/Tversity. However, if you have selected (in the respective program) to have them display, and you play a file type that should be decoded by one of those codecs but don’t get the icon its likely you either 1) Haven’t correctly selected the file type to be decoded in the respective codec or 2) [most likely] You have a codec conflict, i.e. you have more than 1 codec set to decode the same file type.

[quote="KarnaG3"]ATTENTION: MKV AUDIO ISSUES /STUTTERING PROBLEMS

1. If your video is stuttering, you have probably not closely read my notes that EXPLICITLY STATE UNLESS YOU HAVE SOME SUPERCOMPUTER, TRANSCODING IN HD IS NOT GONNA HAPPEN [smoothly]. Do not try to transcode at 1980x1080 or whatever. I don’t care if your computer has its own exhaust system and a supercharger with 50GB of RAM or something rediculous. This is a BANDWIDTH limitation, NOT a processing limitation. Eat it. Or get fiberoptics installed. :)

2. Audio:
    a) If you aren’t using ONLY the EXACT codecs I’ve listed, stop here. I can’t help you. Don’t install 50 codecs to decode the same file type, audio or video. You only need one.

b)  Assuming you are using the Vista or XP codec pack w/AC3Filter, if you still have "garbled" sound (NOT no sound...wait for it...wait for it... ) you have a codec conflict.  Period.  I still think you most likely have a PCM or other file type handled by AC3Filter that is also selected to be handled by ffdshow audio.  Below is a screenshot of my FFDSHOW SETTINGS ***NOTE THE THINGS THAT ARE DISABLED**** NOTE THAT MP3 *IS* ENABLED:  even tho PS3 can decode it, it CAN'T decode it from the *transcoded* stream properly:

http://img520.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ap1db4.jpg http://img508.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ap2cc9.jpg http://img112.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ac3picaz8.jpg

Let me know what happens a) AFTER you change your settings to reflect mine b) make sure that AC3 settings reflect mine and c) you guessed it, reboot.

PS: If you have NO audio in WMP, you have NO codec set to handle the audio stream from the MKV. NOTE: Different MKV’s use different audio types. If one plays and has audio and the other doesn’t, right click on the file in WMP and select Properties to find out the codec used to decode the audio.[/quote]

installed tversity using your instructions from your first post to the letter. did it after a clean XP SP3 install. when streaming avi files to the PS3 the audio is garbled (low sounding and breaking up). followed these new instructions and still nothing. same issue. tried both restarting media service and restarting the entire PC after changing settings… nothing. tried removing k-lite, which I was using initially, and installed vista codecs (even though it’s the same ffdshow, AC3filter I guess), and still nothing.

TVersity is one of the most frustrating programs I’ve ever set up. granted this is a codec issue, but it’s one of many many many problems I’m having with TVersity.

• edit

noticed that when I play the file from Tversity, the ffsdshow audio tray icon appears despite AC3 settings being set to “disabled”. seems like it’s forcing the ffdshow audio decoder even though I specified it not to use it.

[quote="KarnaG3"]
Have you done the profiles.xml tweak to change the PS3 settings from mpeg16 to mpeg2? Also, on the WMP settings under Transcoding in Tversity, what have you selected? What resolution do you have it transcoding at?[/quote]

I’ve just followed things from the previous post, and that hasnt made any difference, although now WMP11 shows the icons, the audio OSD, but then played through at at least 2x speed and no audio (and out of sync too judging by the progress bar).
Then i rebooted as suggested, back in and its as it was before, no audio, no OSD, normal playback, no audio related icons in toolbar.
PS3 is identical to before also, no icons at all when playing, gerbled audio, smooth playback.

Profiles.xml yes ive changed this, and only this mpeg16 to mpeg2 under Playstation3 section.
TVersity settings: Only when needed, decrease ticked, 640x480 (not arsed atm, least of my worries), use DS enabled, WMV9, quality opt, wired 100m high, minimum comp, decode ticked.

Ive installed nothing driver related from outside these instructions, rebooted every step.

Couple things that concern me:

1. Im getting no icons for ffdshow or ac3filter, seems rather odd when they used to pop up in the past.
  2. in Tversity ‘status’ streaming updates its progress but transcoding is always 0%, i dont know if thats fine or not, seems odd though.
  3. in AC3filter > System, you had ‘Default audio renderer’ as DS, i cant select either, nothing happens as a select them.
    X-fi drivers are installed, VLC plays everything perfectly, so im a little unsure what its problem is.

[quote="uforia"]Thanks the guide worked. Just wondering though on sound…I noticed MP3s are sent to my PS3 in 5.1? which sounds pretty good…but movies are only send in stereo? is there a way to swap this around?

Doesnt look like H.264 MKV movies that are encoded in 5.1 is sending 5.1 to my ps3 either… thanks[/quote]

With ffdshow audio decoder, the setup is either all or none…unless the audio isn’t running thru ffdshow and is actually running via the AC3Filter. You need to make sure your settings are adjusted in ffdshow and/or AC3Filter.

Most (if not all) MKV audio will be decoded by (or should be, if not set it this way) AC3Filter. AC3Filter is set to 2.0 audio by default in most cases.

ATTENTION: MKV AUDIO ISSUES /STUTTERING PROBLEMS

2. Audio:

PS: If you have NO audio in WMP, you have NO codec set to handle the audio stream from the MKV. NOTE: Different MKV’s use different audio types. If one plays and has audio and the other doesn’t, right click on the file in WMP and select Properties to find out the codec used to decode the audio.

[quote="PaulC2K"]KarnaG3 :
Im completely stumped on this mkv/ac3 issue.

I used your initial post walk-through a couple of weeks back, and the ac3 audio was never right when it needed to be (or at least the occasions i had problems that was the audio used). I followed the instructions to the letter that time, and had these problems. On Saturday i needed a fresh OS install, so when setting this all up nothing had been installed, only sound & gfx drivers, no VLC or owt else. I have the same issues still, and i intend on doing a new OS install at the weekend (OS issues, so checked on a seperate HDD, seems fine so im installing properly onto my raptor this time).

In ffdshow audio, i have…
Codecs: AC3 and PCM disabled (i’ve even gone as far as removing everything!)
Tray icons: Modern
OSD ticked (twice) top 4 enabled (0% left, 0% top, dont seem to be able to adjust this unlike video OSD)

In AC3filter -> System tab, i have…
Use AC3Filter for: PCM (ticked), AC3 (ticked), DTS (ticked), MPeg (blank), DVD (ticked), SPDIF (blank).
Filter merit: Prefer AC3Filter
Interface options: show tray icon (ticked)

I’ve rebooted the system twice, after various messing with settings just incase.

When i load up WMV11 (cos its cr*p and incapable of doing anything itself) to try an mkv file i get the video fine, no audio (not sure why), and in the toolbar i have Haali, ffd video, but NO ffd audio or ac3filter icon.
VLC plays it fine, as you’d expect, and without any help from ffd etc as its a proper peice of software unlike the retarded microsoft junk.
When i go through TV rc2 it doesnt use show any toolbar icons, i get the video fine but the screwed up audio. TVersity ‘Status’ says its streaming as mpg, transcoding mkv to mpg | active | 0% (always stays at 0%).
.[/quote]

Have you done the profiles.xml tweak to change the PS3 settings from mpeg16 to mpeg2? Also, on the WMP settings under Transcoding in Tversity, what have you selected? What resolution do you have it transcoding at?

I used XP Codec Pack 2.3.9 because it’s the only pack that will give me video when transcoding mkv to the PS3. but it isn’t perfect as the sound is all distorted and broken. can you guys help me fix this?

I tried other codec packs such as K-Lite and CCCP but i get no video (.mkv) through my PS3. So i have the best chance of watching mkv files on my PS3 is with XP Codec Pack, but the audio doesn’t working.

Here’s a screen of the ffdshow audio, no decoder for AC3 and a lot of other formats.

what am I missing?

[quote="PaulC2K"][quote="KarnaG3"]I suggest removing all of your codecs & Tversity and starting from scratch.

That said, whether or not you do start from scratch, I’ve had the most luck w/using WMV8 w/Tversity, not WMV9.

PS - You will NOT get the ffdshow audio/video or ac3filter icons w/Tversity. However, if you have selected (in the respective program) to have them display, and you play a file type that should be decoded by one of those codecs but don’t get the icon its likely you either 1) Haven’t correctly selected the file type to be decoded in the respective codec or 2) [most likely] You have a codec conflict, i.e. you have more than 1 codec set to decode the same file type.[/quote]
I havent done that, i’ve had a ton of hardware problems over the last fortnight which had gone for a week but returned in full force on Friday when deciding to do the fresh OS install back onto the Raptor seeing as it seemed the fresh OS install onto another drive fixed my issues.
Anyway, after a lot of messing, ive gone back to the raptor OS, found no problems yet and ready to call it a night, got all the HDDs in there and figured i’d pick a film to watch. I’d installed TVersity 9.whatever on friday set it all up but i dont think i tested it, if i did it had the same issues. just come to do it now and its working a treat on a AC3 film which definately wasnt working previously. I’d been doing a check on an MKV & AC3 ‘sample’ file and that still doesnt work (only audio), however the film i’d been waiting to see (some avi & ac3, dont have gspot installed atm)

I think ive given up on getting MKV files to work, theres very few things i’d bother with a 720/1080p version and for the hassle trying to get it to work… pass.
I’ll possibly try it once in a while on future samples, but not bothering to waste my time further on it, nor yours, thanks for the rest of the walk-through, i’ve spent time messing in the past when certain files havent played correctly, and got things fine, but hopefully this walk-through saves me that messing in future.[/quote]

I am not familiar w/Raptor OS. If you are using an OS other than XP or Vista, this guide may be useless to you.

Please include all information that is "unique" about your system.

PS: AC3 is an audio type not a video type. If you are only having AC3 issues, you most likely need to make sure FFDshow is NOT set to decode AC3 or PCM and that AC3Filter IS set to decode these file types.

[quote="KarnaG3"]I am not familiar w/Raptor OS. If you are using an OS other than XP or Vista, this guide may be useless to you.

Please include all information that is "unique" about your system.

PS: AC3 is an audio type not a video type. If you are only having AC3 issues, you most likely need to make sure FFDshow is NOT set to decode AC3 or PCM and that AC3Filter IS set to decode these file types.[/quote]
‘Raptor’ is a HDD made by Western Digital
‘OS’ is the Vista x64 installed on it.
Im between (same) OS’s due to system crashes, last week i thought it could be just a knackered OS install, worked fine on a spare HDD OS install, so started fresh on the Raptor and within an hour it was crashing frequently, and back on the previous ‘spare OS’ it started doing the same instantly.

After saying the film worked fine when i tried it last night, i made myself some grub, got myself comfortable and started it up… retarded AC3 sound. Loaded up ‘cd2’ cos that was the file i tried as it goes straight to audio instead of waiting 30sec, retarded sound.
I didnt touch a thing, worked one minute, not the next. Only thing i did in between was try the MKV/AC3 file which didnt work.

I know AC3 is audio, the Video side is fine on everything ive thrown at it so far, but some items has the garbled audio, and whenever ive gSpot’ed them its said AC3. Its disabled in FFDShow and enabled in AC3config

Thanks for the manual - BUT:
Now that i’m trying to run a MKV file, MediaServer.exe crashes. Also, when I try to run a MKV file I converted using mkv2vob, the sound is terrible.

How can I fix this?

Thanks

[quote="KarnaG3"]I suggest removing all of your codecs & Tversity and starting from scratch.

PS - You will NOT get the ffdshow audio/video or ac3filter icons w/Tversity. However, if you have selected (in the respective program) to have them display, and you play a file type that should be decoded by one of those codecs but don’t get the icon its likely you either 1) Haven’t correctly selected the file type to be decoded in the respective codec or 2) [most likely] You have a codec conflict, i.e. you have more than 1 codec set to decode the same file type.[/quote]
I havent done that, i’ve had a ton of hardware problems over the last fortnight which had gone for a week but returned in full force on Friday when deciding to do the fresh OS install back onto the Raptor seeing as it seemed the fresh OS install onto another drive fixed my issues.
Anyway, after a lot of messing, ive gone back to the raptor OS, found no problems yet and ready to call it a night, got all the HDDs in there and figured i’d pick a film to watch. I’d installed TVersity 9.whatever on friday set it all up but i dont think i tested it, if i did it had the same issues. just come to do it now and its working a treat on a AC3 film which definately wasnt working previously. I’d been doing a check on an MKV & AC3 ‘sample’ file and that still doesnt work (only audio), however the film i’d been waiting to see (some avi & ac3, dont have gspot installed atm)

I think ive given up on getting MKV files to work, theres very few things i’d bother with a 720/1080p version and for the hassle trying to get it to work… pass.
I’ll possibly try it once in a while on future samples, but not bothering to waste my time further on it, nor yours, thanks for the rest of the walk-through, i’ve spent time messing in the past when certain files havent played correctly, and got things fine, but hopefully this walk-through saves me that messing in future.

[quote=“KarnaG3”]If you didn’t do a fresh install and preferably a reboot then clean you registry of these programs - both the codecs AND Tversity try again.

You can’t just uninstall 1 codec pack and install another and expect it to work. Codecs are recognized by Tversity when you install Tversity…i.e. if you remove the codec pack that was installed initially (K-Lite) and then install a new codec pack WITHOUT uninstalling Tversity, for some reason Tversity still looks for the old codec pack.

Uninstall all of it, reboot, use a reg cleaner and install fresh.

EDIT

You noted that you followed my instructions to the letter. You did not. If you had, you would understand that changing codecs means starting from scratch. Just FYI.[/quote]

I appreciate your help, but I did follow your instructions to the letter after a clean windows install. when it still didn’t work, I uninstalled k-lite, uninstalled tversity, did a full reboot, installed vista codec pack, reinstalled tversity, and tried again… still nothing. I didn’t try a reg cleaner in between, but I have a feeling it’s not going to make a difference.

Will this also solve the subtitles issue of not showing embedded subtitles (or in some cases even the external)?

BTW:

Thank you very much for this guide. I can not confirm that it works for me but I am trying it as we speak. (My issue was with the subtitles at first but now I’m getting stuttering video and no subtitles)

KarnaG3,

Thanks for posting your suggestions onto the forum, I have had countless problems trying to get TVersity running properly will all different file types. I was glad that I spent the 30-45 minutes on your format becuase I managed to get 95% of my files working now.

I only have on problem now, DVD rips do not play audio when streaming now, any suggestions? Either way I am very happy now my PS3 is streaming vids again. Anyone else having all kinds of problems follow KarnaG3’s guide it worked for me.

Scott

I’m sure where I went wrong. I rebooted all the times and followed the steps.

I have had mkv streaming perfectly before (without subs) on one of my trials so I don’t understand what’s out of place.

I go to run a mkv video.

File Corrupted.

:(

Anyone familiar with this error and know what led to it on their end?

[quote=“DLEE”]I’m sure where I went wrong. I rebooted all the times and followed the steps.

I have had mkv streaming perfectly before (without subs) on one of my trials so I don’t understand what’s out of place.

I go to run a mkv video.

File Corrupted.

:(

Anyone familiar with this error and know what led to it on their end?[/quote]

I’ve had similar issues. First try going under the “General” tab on Tversity. Click “Delete Files” under the Temporary Media Files. Then restart sharing. This usually happens when your cache gets corrupted.

Let me know what happens.