Tversity - Making it Work for PS3 *updated 11/23/09

[quote="torrid"][quote="bigaljp"]Thanks for all the useful info. I set everything up fine and it all went well.

One question though - I was wondering if it is possible to change the Aspect Ratio. I have a normal TV - no widescreen :( - and when I switch to normal mode via the PS3 controller it cuts out the left and right side of the movie. Wide Screen has the big black bands on the top an bottom.

Can I change the picture to fit my screen?

Thanks in advance![/quote]

Those are pretty much your two options: You can see the entire picture, with the black bars on top and bottom or you can “fill the screen”, but loose part of the picture in the process. It’s unavoidable when switching from any wide-screen format to a 4:3 SD TV. A big factor in making the decision will be the size of your TV. If it is large enough that you can still enjoy the movie, go with the native wide-screen aspect ratio and see the entire picture. That’s what I did when I had a 50" (and even a 27") SD TV. But, if you are working with very small TV, you may want to “zoom” the picture to fill the screen. Depending on the movie, it may have been directed in such a way that it had TV broadcast in mind and you will not loose much.

By the way, even when you get your wide-screen HD set, which you will someday, you will still find thre are times there are bars on the top or sides of the picture. Source material comes in many different aspect ratios and there is no way to physically adjust the set so that they all fill the screen. (In a movie theater they can adjust the curtins to the ratio of the picture.) Personally, I would much rather see everything the director put on film than to fill my screen, just because it is there.

Torrid[/quote]

Thanks!

I have quite a big TV so the widesceen mode isnt bad. I plan to get a widescreen at Xmas so not long to wait!

***CORRUPT FILES OR SIMILAR ISSUE AFTER CODEC INSTALL/REINSTALL: ****

1. If you already had Tversity installed, then you didn’t read my guide :)

2. I HIGHLY recommend uninstalling Tversity completely when doing a new codec install or codec update.

3. If you’ve already done this and still get the message (or are too lazy to do a fresh install :)) you can
    a) delete all the folders/files you’ve added to Tversity (just from Tversity - don’t actually delete them)
    b) RESTART DO NOT add the folders/files back until after the restart
    c) STOP The Tversity service in services.msc or in the Tversity program
    d) While the Tversity service is stopped, re-add the folders/files to Tversity *DON’T START THE SERVICE AGAIN UNTIL the little circle thingy @ the top stops spinning indicating the library is updated **AND YOU CLEAR THE TEMPORARY MEDIA FILES - Delete Files, yes.[/quote]

i did a full reinstall just as stated ffd then haali then tversity removing my codecs before and restarting and cleaning my reg every time. the file i want to see is and xvid 103 for video, and mp3 for audio. it still keeps coming up unsupported. ffd has the xvid codec enabled and mpc plays the file ive tried reinstalling my library but i cant add files with the service off and i deleted my temporary files. Soo whatd i do wrong here? My other files do transcode now rmvb ect… just not this one

I have now tried out everything a little bit more, and that leads me to the following questions.

1. Doesnt PS3 support DTS?? Im trying a MKV with DTS, and FFDshow transcodes (DTS enabled), also Im trying a m2ts muxed file which the PS3 stream without transcoding, with DTS, and in the transcoding scenario PS3 states 2 channel PCM (im getting sound, but not 5.1), and in the no-transcoding scenario PS3 states AVC video but empty sound (no sound at all whatsoever)?

2. I have ffdshow enabled for AC3, and i have tried streaming MKV to my PS3. This works, however, the sound is only ooutput as 2 channel even though its 5.1 channel in the MKV file. Isnt it possible to stream several channels together with the video to the PS3?

I have also tried .srt subtitles together with MKV and it shows up on the PS3, after activating subtitle support in ffdshow of course.

Also, i recognized that if i set ffdshow to SPDIF output for AC3 and DTS, and play a video on the PC my receiver recognizes AC3 and DTS so i get all channels out from the SPDIF output on the PC. But when I then try streaming to the PS3, MKV just gives me data corrupted. When i switch back to default in ffdshow, not SPDIF, i again hear sound in PS3 (however not 5.1 still) and when I play on the PC video the receiver doesnt recognize AC3 anymore, only 2 channel PCM.

So the question is, how can i make TVersity stream AC3/DTS 5.1 channel sound from my MKVs to the PS3?

Having a bit of a problem, I followed the guide to the letter and now can get some .mkv files to transcode but some will still not play. It appears that the ones that will not transcode are all .x264. Also in Vista I’m finding that the files that will transcode have thumbnails and the files that won’t transcode don’t. How can I get them all to transcode properly without having to individually recode them?

This is true. Streaming the PS3 is very erratic, which is why it stutters and skips during streaming. Too bad, really.

Hey KarnaG3, thanks for the update.

Okay, here comes the bad part. Don’t worry, i did everything that you told me. Everything to the T. One thing i did notice was that videos encoded with AVC will not play at all. Sound will not play in MPC and it will just crash my WMP11. Don’t have any idea why. Also, sub issue is still here. I realized that i just had to activate it in ffdshow, but it will not show in my PS3. It shows in MPC, but not in my PS3. wierd… Also, some audio endcoded to MP3 will not play on the PS3, and will recieve an error playing on my PS3 the first time around, but if you try again, it will play. Any ideas?

[quote="joksi"]I have now tried out everything a little bit more, and that leads me to the following questions.

1. Doesnt PS3 support DTS?? Im trying a MKV with DTS, and FFDshow transcodes (DTS enabled), also Im trying a m2ts muxed file which the PS3 stream without transcoding, with DTS, and in the transcoding scenario PS3 states 2 channel PCM (im getting sound, but not 5.1), and in the no-transcoding scenario PS3 states AVC video but empty sound (no sound at all whatsoever)?

2. I have ffdshow enabled for AC3, and i have tried streaming MKV to my PS3. This works, however, the sound is only ooutput as 2 channel even though its 5.1 channel in the MKV file. Isnt it possible to stream several channels together with the video to the PS3?

I have also tried .srt subtitles together with MKV and it shows up on the PS3, after activating subtitle support in ffdshow of course.

Also, i recognized that if i set ffdshow to SPDIF output for AC3 and DTS, and play a video on the PC my receiver recognizes AC3 and DTS so i get all channels out from the SPDIF output on the PC. But when I then try streaming to the PS3, MKV just gives me data corrupted. When i switch back to default in ffdshow, not SPDIF, i again hear sound in PS3 (however not 5.1 still) and when I play on the PC video the receiver doesnt recognize AC3 anymore, only 2 channel PCM.

So the question is, how can i make TVersity stream AC3/DTS 5.1 channel sound from my MKVs to the PS3?[/quote]

The PS3 only supports DTS on a BluRay, not streaming.

Don’t use ffdshow for AC3. Disable it and use AC3 Filter instead. Of course, thats only if you’re transcoding, which isn’t necessary if you follow this:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=12570

Had me streaming Transformers with 5.1 AC3 sound in less than fifteen minutes. Its ridiculously simple. Demux the DTS file with tsmuxer, then use DKAudio to make it into AC3. Remux the original video file (in 4.1 profile, of course) with the shiny new AC3. Make sure you mux it as TS. Then enjoy genuine 5.1 sound with any mkv file with DTS.

The files work beautifully, but I have yet to get an HD file to stream to the PS3 without skipping and stuttering. My bandwidth monitor shows it pegging out at 13000 kb/s, but its very erratic. It will shoot up to 13000, then nearly drop out completely and so on. Its almost as if its being governed at a certain threshold. That leads to me to believe that the PS3 can’t handle streams of high bitrate material. I know its not the router, because other times it easily handles 16M+. Is this a PS3 firmware problem? Anyone else able to wirelessly stream mkv files to the PS3 with no problems? I don’t mind copying them over, but large files take awhile since it can’t copy any faster than it streams.

I don’t understand why you would transcode when you can remux it to TS format and just stream it.

Because its not seamless…

I have disabled ffdshow for AC3 in my search for a solution, and installed AC3filter. I have set AC3 filter to 5.1 and still, when I try to stream a MKV i get data corrupted. But if i switch back to 2.0 stereo it all works again, but with 2 channels only.

Is there anyone who have suceeded streaming MKV with 5.1 AC3? How?
Other then that, i know seem to not have any trouble at all, I can stream all MKV files i have tried until now, even with external SRT subtitle files and internal embedded. It works all the way.

Only thing holding it back is the 5.1 sound.

If you follow the guide in the link that I posted, I guarantee you it will work. I just got done watching Iron Man with 5.1 sound. I’m not making this up.

P.S. Here is the link again -------> viewtopic.php?f=28&t=12570

I see your really missing up on something, im doing transcoding here so im not interested in that post.

Thank-you Corran006!
This seems to have cleared up my video/audio stuttering problem too.

Ok some people were bitching how I was slightly unclear with what I was saying.

This is how I fixed my steaming to my Play station 3. Before it was slow and would pause all the time and just not work over all.

So I found my Network card on windows XP was set to Force full 100 duplex mode. I then set it to Full Autonegtation. This solved my poor streaming problem.

Also go to your PlayStation 3 and then into the network setup and make sure your duplex or speed mode or whatever the hell you call it is set to Auto.

So in short… Windows network card = Full Autonegtation (* I am using Nvidia so yours may be called auto or somethign else)

PS3 Network settings = Auto.

Note I’m able to stream 50mbs (with PS3 5.23, Tversity 1.05, WHS, 1GB LAN) BUT while the video stream seems ‘stable’ the audio stream keeps dropping to ‘-’. I use K-Lite codecs and have only reset the MPEG16 Tversity profile setting.

Note also that everything WORKED on first install of 5.23. I changed nothing and restarted the next day. The .mt2s files started stuttering when the audio dropped out. I found that setting the PS3 to 1000gbs with no duplex has made a slight improvement in throughput. I’m wondering if its a PS3 heat instability issue !!! I’ve also found that changing the Tversity settings has minimal impact.

hi,
were you able to stream real media player links by following the instructions.

please reply

[quote="dark79"][quote="joksi"]What exactly did you to for 5.1?
I tried installing AC3filter, just because it looked like FFdshow mixer setup wasnt enough. But AC3 filter didnt improve anything.

I still get the same message as with FFdshow alone, "data corrupted", when i set it up to 5.1 channels. Switching back to 2.0 stereo solves the problems, however without any 5.1 channels.[/quote]

As it has been said many, many, many, many, MANY (ok, you get the picture) times before:

DO NOT INSTALL AC3FILTER!

I have already said that with AC3Filter installed, 5.1 WILL NOT WORK. It doesn’t matter if it’s disabled it still WILL NOT WORK.

If you have installed AC3Filter, you must uninstall TVersity, all codecs, AC3Filter, clean your registry settings AND START OVER.

Seriously, it’s not that hard. Just follow the instructions in the first post and it will work. Here’s the key part:

DO NOT DO ANYTHING DIFFERENT FROM THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!

You might be tempted to change the speaker settings when installing FFDshow from the default 2 channel stereo to 5.1 but DON’T DO IT!!! Don’t even mess with ANYTHING unless it’s in the instructions. Don’t even bother with the mixer in FFDShow. My Mixer settings are still at default which is 2/0/0 but all my AC3 5.1 divx files play with 5.1 surround.

If you don’t follow directions I can’t help you because that’s what I did and it worked just fine.

EDIT: I noticed you’re having problems with MKV and 5.1 Surround. My DivX files that have AC3 5.1 surround will play in 5.1 surround and it will show in the information when I press the Select button. My MKV files that are AC3 5.1 surround will only show 2 Channel in the information when I press the Select button, but I can hear 5.1 surround sound, so I’m not sure if it’s just not showing the info correctly or what, but it sounds like surround to me (i.e. center channel will have dialogue while the rear speakers will have background sounds and the front speakers will have foreground sounds). Hope that helps.[/quote]

Yes, i have only MKVs with 5.1 so I cant say anything about DivX.
Well, it clearly states 2 chnnel in PS3 and im pretty sure its 2 channels too from the speakers.
And if you re-read my post, you will see it clearly that im saying I turned to AC3 filter as a new solution, before that I had only FFdshow and that didnt work standalone either.

I have also tried streaming an .avi with AC3, test file sending out different sounds to all speakers one at a time. PS3 states 2 channels, and thats true cause no test sounds are coming from anything then the front speakers.

Well, for now I have no solution yet which is too bad, and it seems no one else either has one.
I think im going to switch over to PS3 Java MEdia Server completely, its much easier to setup, runs seamless and all 5.1 sound works great.
It can even play video material directly from RAR files, which is impressive, and soon it will feature .ISO streaming which is totally complete solution! It also has features like not transcoding, only muxing on the fly with tsMuxer, and DTS convertions to LPCM 5.1. Most MKVs dont need any transcoding, just demuxing, lowering the CPU load significantly and retaining original quality when streaming MKVs.

This other software also uses FFDshow for audio, so in fact it seems that TVersity is the failure link between FFDshow and the PS3 in regards to 5.1.

I use the SSE version (as I have a newer Intel processor) as this seems to have the most compatibility with Vista.

DON’T use the MMX version; this is only for older processors, UNLESS you have an older processor like a pre-dual-core, and even then SSE should be supported unless your processor is super ancient.

PS - I’ll update the link to go to the general page for FFDShow as this will allow you to chose the correct version. Thanks for pointing that out! ;)

It sounds like you have 2 different codecs handling H.264/MP4 files. My guess is you have ALSO installed Quicktime at some point. Uninstall Quicktime (or whatever that "other" codec in question is) and start from scratch.

Lemme know :)[/quote]

I should clarify that if for some reason you NEED Quicktime ( like you if you use iTunes), then you can disable h.264/MP4 handling in the quicktime file types, or you can disable handling of these file types by FFDShow. I.E. make sure only one or the other handles these file types, and make sure the one that does handles both file types. Hope that helps.

[quote]
On my PC I turned the following services to Either Manual or Disabled…it shouldnt matter as long as they are not running.
Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) - Disabled
SSDP Discovery - Disabled -this will also turn off Windows Media Extender service as it is dependent on SSDP
UPnP Device Host - Manual
Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service - Disabled

1. Right click on Computer and click Manage.
  2. Expand Event Viewer->Custom Views->Administrative Events.
  3. The latest Error should be your Log on error…double click it and make sure it says "Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer."
  4. If this is the case then follow these steps to fix this.
  5. Press Windows Button+R to get into run or just type this in the vista search box gpedit.msc
  6. Expand Computer Configuration->Windows Settings->Security Settings->Local Policies->User Rights Assignment
  7. Find "Log on as service" and double click it.
  8. Click "Add User or Group" and add yourself(type in your full username and press Check Names) or use the same way you would have when you do "Log On As…" for the service.
  9. Now go back to TVersityMediaServer service and restart it under your username. which should also be the account you installed fdshow and matroska under.

This solved my issue and now I could watch MKV on Xbox…however I am still trying to figure out how to display subtitles. lol

DISCLAIMER: PLEASE FOLLOW ORIGINAL INSTRUCTIONS. THESE ARE JUST THE STEPS I TOOK FOR MYSELF. I PUT THIS HERE IN CASE YOU ARE HAVING SOME OF THE SAME ISSUES I HAVE HAD AND THIS MAY GIVE YOU SOME TIPS ON WHAT MIGHT BE THE PROBLEM. BUT I CANT STRESS USING THE ORIGINAL INSTRUCTIONS ENOUGH, WHICH IS WHAT I FOLLOWED UNTIL I RAN INTO SOME OTHER MINOR ISSUES

hope this helps. if you have questions about how i did it, feel free to ask. however i got it to work for XBOX360. which probably shouldn’t be in this thread, but i just wnated to give my thanks to KarnaG3[/quote]

PLEASE DO NOT FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS, AS THEY COULD CAUSE YOU SOME HEADACHES
But thanks for the props :)

I have already covered this logon issue in the guide.

Its under the section clearly labled:

[size=150]TVERSITY WINDOWS LOGON ISSUES (aka the Tversity services.msc issue)*[/size]

The process outlined by this user is NOT necessary, and even creating the logon should NOT be necessary.

I have also already covered the issue with the SSDP/WMP Sharing/ UPnP.

The newest version of Tversity makes these changes (or gives the option to have Tversity do it for you, I believe) automatically.
DO NOT DISABLE SSDP. This may work for this user, but it will likely cause DLNA errors.

The UPnP service is replaced by the Tversity Server and this now handles the UPnP fuction & Tversity function.

It appears that if you had this issue you may not be using the newest version of Tversity, or you aren’t using Vista, OR you have Vista User Account Control on (the single most annoying thing Micro$haft has ever conceived).