Tversity - Making it Work for PS3 *updated 11/23/09

UPdate:

VIsta 64 Ultimate is the bomb for Tversity. No stutters no problem. Using the last version thats not as pretty

Peopel with .mkv should be converting to .vob.

Works great for me. Except after 20 minutes it starts stuttering like crazy. Which is sad because it looks sooooo good when its working.

Did someone say that Vista 64 seems to work without stuttering? I dual boot with that but have only been using XP

Seems awfully hit and miss. I’m guessing because I hardly every use Vista 64 it was totally clean of codecs. I’m using last RC though as the fancy one doesn’t let me add folders in Vista.

Whatever if it works it works. I watched Get Smart in 1280x720 and a DIVX movie last night with no problems

I don´t know what to do.

TVersity worked fine for me until I installed the Halii Media Splitter.

After that, I deinstalled everything. Every codec, Tversity, and followed during te re-installation this guide here.

My problem: If Tversity tries to decode and stream an video, it starts to decode, but stops. Then it starts and stops. And so on.

I see it in the corner of the desktop, the ffdshow audio and video decoder start, and stop.

What shall I do? I am really frustrated at the moment.

Excellent. I followed your instructions step by step. Rebooted every time your instructions stated to reboot, even the suggested ones. Every single file that TVersity needs to transcode, comes up as the data being corrupted. The files that only need to stream work perfectly. But all files needing transcoding fail miserably.

EDIT: Oh yes, and every single file plays in MPC on my PC.

Hi again Meatpie,

Don’t want to continue to hijack this thread, so I’ll keep it short. Suffice it to say, the stuttering problems you are seeing are not caused by any kind of codec pack or anything discussed in the setup instructions here. There are some other threads in the forum that discuss this specific problem. However, in immediate response to your OS question: as I said before, I have no stuttering at the moment and I use Vista x64 Ultimate. When I DID have stuttering, I was able to use other programs such as FUPPES (very similar to mediatomb) within the same windows installation without any stuttering. Therefore, it is most likely a problem with how TVersity itself interacts with windows/PS3.

I tried FUPPES and the ps3mediaserver. Both have the same issues with stuttering under Vista.

EDIT - Ok either the PS3 or Vista is possessed. Remember those stuttering problems? Without rebooting, without installing or uninstalling, basically without changing ANYTHING the ps3 is streaming fine now. Last time I tried to stream was about 3 weeks ago when I had stuttering issues. My pc has been on the entire time and I haven’t changed anything and now it’s working again. I just don’t get it. Absolutely nothing has changed on my pc, ps3 or network. :|

Just a need of clarification after a while beeing offline on this forum (uninstalled TVersity).

I dont know whats the issues exactly with TVersity stuttering and having problems with MKV files, for example, but PS3 Media Server doesnt have these issues.

Over at the PS3 Media Server thread at AVforums.com we have come to a conclusion that the problem with stutter mostly is cause by one, or both, of the two following things.

a) Buffer problem

b) Bandwitdh problem

c) Hardware

As we all know, bandwitdh is the most important and cruisal thing when talking about media streaming. Not to mention highh demaning h264 with high bitrates.
WLAN will simply NOT do it, however you try. You CAN lower the quality of the output, to some degree, and make it stream smoothly on WLAN. I have suceeded with this on PS3 Media Server, 720p AND 1080p but with lowest quality setup in the software. It runs at 15-20Mbps, which is exaclty at the limit of my WLANs performance but it works kind of smooth though.

The other issue, hardware, is a no brainer. You need atleast some type of dual core to maximise the transcoding. I have a dual core 2,6ghz.

Third thing, the buffer. Here im not sure if its some redesigning thats needed, especially in TVersity, but in PS3 Media Server I have gotten it to work pretty good and as soon as it doesnt its the fact that the CPU cant keep up buffering, so it stutters in the PS3. This aint bandwitdh relate on the network, just bandwitdh related in the CPU processing.

However, after clarifying this I will also have to clarify that most people using PS3 MEdia Server are after right setup (easy) streaming without any issues whatsoever, smoothly and correct even with 1080p.

Im one of these people, always had problems of different kinds with TVersity (the reason why i replaced it for PS3 Media Server), but with PS3 MEdia Server I have successfully found a working setup for both wireless and wired HD streaming. Even though wireless setup is at lower quality (bitrate) it DOES work. On ethernet (100mbps) i can now stream whatever 1080p I have come around, with AC3 or DTS transcoded to LPCM (HDMI receiver required) at a bitrate of 40-50Mbps, without stutter, without buffering.

The key thing here is the so called transcoding engines used in PS3 MEdia Server, to maximise and efficiently use your dual core CPU you should use CoreAVC together with avisynth and it will play smoothly. With Mencoder alone i could never get it to play smoothly, but with CoreAVC (or latest ffdshow multicore revision) it works flawlessly almost all the time.

So, no more stuttering on high quality, but I cant say the same for TVersity and thats the biggest reason why Ive given up on this software and totally focused on much more functional, efficient and powerful PS3 Media Server. It mostly just works, even out of the box!

Yet important to add, if your not favouring subtitles you coudl easly stream whatever HD material you want without any CPU load by using the integrated tsMuxer feature in PS3 MEdia Server (even easely on wifi!). The difference is, when Mencoder or ffdshow/coreavc transcodes the complete video AND audio tracks to MPEG2, tsMuxer only repacks the stream from ie MKV to PS3 compatible m2ts container, on the fly! So the video from the source file beeing streamed is actually never modified, nor touched at all. This is the best, most efficient and least CPU demanding option of them all, which TVersity completely lacks! Even the tsMuxer DTS problem is solved here, cause tsMuxer in conjunction with FFmpeg just uncompresses DTS tracks and outputs it to ie 5.1 LPCM ( 4.6Mbps) keeping the lossless DTS quality and making it work like a charm on PS3. And this is all done so totally seamless. But, the downside is there is no support for subtitles when PS3 plays tsMuxer produced material, and added to that many 1080p videos wont work because of the all known level 5.1 coding.

But besides this, tsMuxer feature is the ultimate streaming solution no matter what PC hardware or network connection you may have. It will work,

So, all of you which are interested in a working quality setup for your PS3 streaming needs, that is both easy too and fully functional - give PS3 MEdia Server a try! You shouldnt be dissapointed, Also, if some support or questions arise, i will gladly help giving my easy instructions for solving most problems reaching to a working setup just like mine. I have put done much experimenting time on both TVersity and PS3 Media Server (though much less on PS3 Media Server), and can confidentally state that im ready to explain and support these problems.

Sounds interesting. Even though my stuttering has gone away, I’ll give it a looksie. Thanks.

[quote="FijiSan"]I don´t know what to do.

TVersity worked fine for me until I installed the Halii Media Splitter.

After that, I deinstalled everything. Every codec, Tversity, and followed during te re-installation this guide here.

My problem: If Tversity tries to decode and stream an video, it starts to decode, but stops. Then it starts and stops. And so on.

I see it in the corner of the desktop, the ffdshow audio and video decoder start, and stop.

What shall I do? I am really frustrated at the moment.[/quote]

Are you saying the programs themselves start and stop (i.e. crash?) or the video starts and stops (i.e. stuttering or starting over repeatedly?).

If its stuttering, etc. its most likely (as always - I highlight this but no one listens :)) that you are trying to run a resolution higher than advised in the guide. If not, trying a LOWER resolution, maintaining the respective aspect ratio to your TV.

If the programs are start/stopping repeatedly, then they are crashing. However, I’m not sure how you’d be able to tell this as the System Tray icons do NOT appear while Tversity is running. They will ONLY appear if you a) haven’t disabled them to appear and b) are running the video IN Windows.

[quote="joksi"]Just a need of clarification after a while beeing offline on this forum (uninstalled TVersity).

I dont know whats the issues exactly with TVersity stuttering and having problems with MKV files, for example, but PS3 Media Server doesnt have these issues.

Over at the PS3 Media Server thread at AVforums.com we have come to a conclusion that the problem with stutter mostly is cause by one, or both, of the two following things.

a) Buffer problem

b) Bandwitdh problem

c) Hardware

As we all know, bandwitdh is the most important …[color=#FF0000]…BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH …[/color]…- give PS3 MEdia Server a try! You shouldnt be dissapointed, Also, if some support or questions arise, i will gladly help giving my easy instructions for solving most problems reaching to a working setup just like mine. I have put done much experimenting time on both TVersity and PS3 Media Server (though much less on PS3 Media Server), and can confidentally state that im ready to explain and support these problems.[/quote]

You, my friend, are to say the least, an idiot. I’ve refrained from name calling for stupid, book-long posts previously, but this takes the cake.

1. PS3 MEDIA SERVER IS THE INTERFACE USED FOR TVERSITY. It is NOT SEPARATE TRANSCODING SOFTWARE. Get ur shit straight.
  2. TVERSITY IS USED AS A PS3 MEDIA SERVER For the specific purpose of transcoding video that is NOT directly compatible with PS3 so that, unlike the morons posting over @ AVForums that have obviously spent MONTHS trying to re-encode MKV files, we can just use them natively and on-the-fly transcode them, meaning no change to the original file. This is MUCH easier for the average user, much less time consuming and oh yeah MKV could be re-encoded YEARS ago using a demuxing program (in the way ur buddy JUST figured out) by separating the audio & video. That is, however, a HUGE pain the @$$ for most people, and Tversity is simply easier.
  3. DO NOT SPAM THIS FORUM, and definately DO NOT SPAM MY POST. If you spent 1/2 the time you’ve wasted re-encoding an MKV file to read 1/2 the comments in the post alone, you’d already understand how to do what you’re trying to do.

Just for clarification, again: If you have a PS3, and you are using media streaming from your PC YOU ALREADY USE PS3 MEDIA SERVER. Its a misleading name its not actually a server. Its an INTERFACE for YOUR PC’s server (WMP or Tversity, etc).

edit
PS - This guy obviously didn’t even read the primary topic on this post - or he would have read my little rant in the guide that specifically explains how to setup the resolution, bandwidth etc, and WHY THIS IS SO IMPORTANT because of PS3’s hardware bandwidth limitations on their networking card.

[quote="MeatPie"]I tried FUPPES and the ps3mediaserver. Both have the same issues with stuttering under Vista.

EDIT - Ok either the PS3 or Vista is possessed. Remember those stuttering problems? Without rebooting, without installing or uninstalling, basically without changing ANYTHING the ps3 is streaming fine now. Last time I tried to stream was about 3 weeks ago when I had stuttering issues. My pc has been on the entire time and I haven’t changed anything and now it’s working again. I just don’t get it. Absolutely nothing has changed on my pc, ps3 or network. :|[/quote]

I don’t want to be Captain Obvious here, but I should point out that if you guys are say doing 1 or ALL of the following while ALSO actively using Tversity on the PS3, this could easily cause stuttering, due to bandwidth alone (not that you have a shotty network, just PS3 limits and transcoding processing needs) and unrelated to “problems” with codecs etc:

1. Torrenting. Don’t. Just don’t. This will KILL your packet streaming so don’t even think about trying to do this & run Tversity actively. THAT INCLUDES running Tversity on 1 PC and Torrenting on another. Just do NOT have a torrent program even running while you are actively streaming from Tv.

2. Downloading (in your browser or non-torrent prog) 50 songs, 20 videos, 4,000 pictures, etc all at once and actively streaming w/Tv. This includes using a “download management program” at all whilst streaming. And no, LIMEWIRE does NOT magically allocate bandwidth to make this happen (don’t ask but I’ve heard it before).

3. Multiple in-network transactions: printing 80 jobs, streaming MUSIC somewhere, configuring your router (this should be obvious, but…)

4. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, if you are NOT running ANYTHING other than Tversity that would be great, but I still hear of people trying to run a video/audio decoder, have WMP up, have their screen saver running (if you haven’t figured it out, after YEARS of using windows SCREEN SAVERS SUCK memory and waste your HDD speed whilst simultaneously FRAGGING THE CRAP out of your free HDD space - thus the need for defrags that much more often).

5. KILL THE MESSENGER. Literally. Shut down ALL instant messangers, background programs that “check for updates”, run for [almost always] unnecessary reasons, and services that don’t need to start with windows. Background programs that run on startup can EAT memory for breakfast. Below is pic of the ONLY items I have that start with Windows. Keep in mind the Java update scheduler is NOT necessary, but it only takes about 868K of memory and if you’re hurting for that…upgrade!

*note: you’ll notice I have a WMP config file that loads with Startup. NO, you don’t need it. I do but its certainly not necessary unless you regularly use WMP.

edit NOTE THAT FILES UNDER “C:\Windows\system32\…” are usually drivers. Yours may be a bit different than mine, but are USUALLY necessary. Sometimes things such as printer drivers or similar external device drivers will be listed under here. Keep in mind, if you don’t use it to RUN WINDOWS but only occasionally(like a printer) you don’t need to load those drivers with windows startup. They will be accessed when you look for that device or when you connect it, such as a USB printer. This generally has no effect on the time it takes to start that device, so why load them with windows?

You can find these things by hitting your windows button+R (run command) or opening the Run command under the Start Menu, (either will have the same result) then entering “msconfig.exe”, press Enter or hit OK. DO NOT MESS WITH CRAP UNDER HERE YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND It usually won’t help anything anyway. However, you are safe to check/uncheck things under the Startup tab, but just make sure you take note of exactly what your are/are not telling it to start with windows. Changes to Services (only whether or not to start them or disable them - use Services.msc to access Auto/Manual settings for services) can be made here as well, but I don’t recommend it unless you know exactly what you are doing.

**if you use Msconfig.exe and change anything you’ll get a dialog box once you apply the changes asking for a restart. NOTHING WILL CHANGE UNTIL YOU RESTART. AFTER you restart, you will have a dialog box once you enter Windows saying you’ve used this program to make changes DON’T JUST CLOSE THE BOX. There is a check mark box that basically will stop you from getting this message EVERY time you logon, check it, then hit OK.

[quote="NainRouge"]Excellent. I followed your instructions step by step. Rebooted every time your instructions stated to reboot, even the suggested ones. Every single file that TVersity needs to transcode, comes up as the data being corrupted. The files that only need to stream work perfectly. But all files needing transcoding fail miserably.

EDIT: Oh yes, and every single file plays in MPC on my PC.[/quote]

Okay, ONLY gonna answer this ONE MORE [the millionth] time.

If you get a DATA CORRUPTED MESSAGE, on PS3 when trying to access the files, it means at some point PRIOR to installing the codecs, you added the FOLDERS to Tversity and now Tversity is confused as to what it should do for transcoding and/or where the file actually is located.

TURN OFF YOUR PS3. SHUT DOWN Tversity. Restart Tversity. CLEAR YOUR TEMP FILES FOR TVERSITY: this may require shutting Tv down, then finding the TEMP file for Tv under your C:\ drive and deleting EVERYTHING in it, which is how I suggest rather than (only in this instance w/the DC message) using Tv to do it.

THEN:

1. Remove all of the files (in Tversity ONLY) from your Tv Library. You should have NO media left to access via Tv when this is done

2. Re-Add the media you want in Tversity. MAKE SURE IT PLAYS IN TVERSITY. **MAKE SURE THE little swirly thing @ the top that indicates its still searching is complete and that all of the media you want is actually added. Sometimes it doesn’t add all media in a folder; seems to happen when there is a LOT of BIG files in said folder.
    **side note: instead of adding your 50000000GB hard drive all at once, try just adding a few [various types] media files for testing. Its a lot less time consuming.

3. Go thru your media (if necessary) and select the Files or Folders you want to be transcoded. If unsure, I suggest (although there is an as-needed selection, it doens’t always seem to work) checking Always. This will ensure everything is transcoded, not always necessary depending on your media types, but it will ensure compatibility w/PS3.

4. You guessed it! Restart. DO NOT TURN ON PS3 YET. Make sure 1) All of the media you selected to add is still actually listed in Tv. 2) It all still plays in Tv and 3) Media that you KNOW needs to be transcoded, such as MKV, plays correctly in Tversity.

You should be good to go. You may want to just try clearing the temp cache first then a restart, then all the other crap, but its up to you. Every time we’ve run into this issue so far, its usually a matter of the library somehow going out of sync with Tversity, so that Tversity doesn’t know how to handle the files.

Was a legitmate question you asked. But no I was not running torrents, screen savers, or any other heavy network/hdd/cpu using programs when the stuttering occured.

[quote="KarnaG3"]1) PS3 MEDIA SERVER IS THE INTERFACE USED FOR TVERSITY. It is NOT SEPARATE TRANSCODING SOFTWARE. Get ur shit straight.
[/quote]

Let me start this by saying that I think we all appreciate the time and effort you put in to writing this guide and keeping it updated, KarnaG3. And I think we all understand that in your effort to keep this guide relevant, you get frustrated when people don’t fully read or follow the guide and thus have problems.

However, I can’t help but find it extremely ironic that you completely tripped on your own words here and made yourself look like a complete ass by trying to bash joksi’s post. He was not referring to TVersity’s “Media Server” folder or “MediaServer.exe” as you seem to think he was. He was in fact posting about a completely different project. PS3 Media Server, or PMS as it’s author likes to call it, is a java based, cross-platform media server made specifically for the PS3 (unlike TVersity). It seems you were the one that failed to read this time. That said, you can read more about it here and the project’s google code page is here. Or you could always try re-reading joksi’s post :wink:.

[quote="KarnaG3"][quote="joksi"]Just a need of clarification after a while beeing offline on this forum (uninstalled TVersity).

a) Buffer problem

b) Bandwitdh problem

c) Hardware

As we all know, bandwitdh is the most important …[color=#FF0000]…BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH …[/color]…- give PS3 MEdia Server a try! You shouldnt be dissapointed, Also, if some support or questions arise, i will gladly help giving my easy instructions for solving most problems reaching to a working setup just like mine. I have put done much experimenting time on both TVersity and PS3 Media Server (though much less on PS3 Media Server), and can confidentally state that im ready to explain and support these problems.[/quote]

You, my friend, are to say the least, an idiot. I’ve refrained from name calling for stupid, book-long posts previously, but this takes the cake.

1. PS3 MEDIA SERVER IS THE INTERFACE USED FOR TVERSITY. It is NOT SEPARATE TRANSCODING SOFTWARE. Get ur shit straight.
  2. TVERSITY IS USED AS A PS3 MEDIA SERVER For the specific purpose of transcoding video that is NOT directly compatible with PS3 so that, unlike the morons posting over @ AVForums that have obviously spent MONTHS trying to re-encode MKV files, we can just use them natively and on-the-fly transcode them, meaning no change to the original file. This is MUCH easier for the average user, much less time consuming and oh yeah MKV could be re-encoded YEARS ago using a demuxing program (in the way ur buddy JUST figured out) by separating the audio & video. That is, however, a HUGE pain the @$$ for most people, and Tversity is simply easier.
  3. DO NOT SPAM THIS FORUM, and definately DO NOT SPAM MY POST. If you spent 1/2 the time you’ve wasted re-encoding an MKV file to read 1/2 the comments in the post alone, you’d already understand how to do what you’re trying to do.

Just for clarification, again: If you have a PS3, and you are using media streaming from your PC YOU ALREADY USE PS3 MEDIA SERVER. Its a misleading name its not actually a server. Its an INTERFACE for YOUR PC’s server (WMP or Tversity, etc).

edit
PS - This guy obviously didn’t even read the primary topic on this post - or he would have read my little rant in the guide that specifically explains how to setup the resolution, bandwidth etc, and WHY THIS IS SO IMPORTANT because of PS3’s hardware bandwidth limitations on their networking card.[/quote]

. . . . YOU NEED HELP! :)

And, to all you others reading this morons weak helping methids in this post(like you dont know a shitr, you have done all wrong, im all mighty bla bla bla = karna3G), I just want to clarify miself once more on the things he responded so you dont get confused by him.

PS3 Media Server is another application, having nothing actually to do with TVersity.
The creator of PS3 Media Server was, like many of us, fed up with adapting TVersity for PS3 specific media requirements (i know, TVersity is great because it is for a broader public) but having to do TONS of special settings, like you read here in this initial "how to" thread.

What Im simply saying is, in 8/10 cases after installing ONLY PS3 Media Server you dont have to do ANYTHING. Everything needed is already in the software, you just have to share your folders and start STREAMING (whatever file you like).
However, if you are the 2/10 who experiences bigger problems, it will be an evidence that you are affected by slow CPU issues.

Simply put, this OTHER software is so so so much easier configuring, using and getting to really WORK. This os ONLY an helping word, advice, from me to all of you just like that had big problems with getting TVersity to work for YOUR PS3.

Conclusion; PS3 Media Server just WORKS. With much more specific PS3 settings, adapted GUI asnd evidently much better performance straight out of the box you have nothing to loose to try this better suited software for the PS3. You wont regret you did!

Again, I hate to hijack this thread, so this will be my last comment.

But, in an effort to help those that just can’t seem to get TVersity working - whether it be a setup problem concerning codecs and the like, or a stuttering issue concerning god-know’s-what - I can concur that PMS (PS3 Media Server), as recommended by joksi, is a very fine alternative made specifically for PS3 users.

PMS is entirely self-contained application and will NOT interfere with TVersity in ANY way.

I, in fact, am currently running both at the same time just to compare. When I say it’s self-contained, I mean that it doesn’t install or uninstall codecs for your entire system. All the tools it uses are just files in it’s installation folder and nothing that it registers with your system. It provides the option to use other decoders/encoders if you want to within it’s settings, though, such as FFDShow and VideoLAN (VideoLAN for web streaming), however. If you have these things installed, it will find them automatically and call upon them when needed. But this is entirely optional.

Some interesting features of PMS that TVersity doesn’t have:
‣ It creates a virtual folder called “##–TRANSCODED–##” with an option to load any file using any of the 4 transcoding engines available if the default one doesn’t work how you want it to.
‣ It adds a tag in brackets at the end of any file’s name that is going to be transcoded to let you know ahead of time.
‣ It does video thumbnails (and you can choose where it gets the thumbnail from in a video).
‣ It doesn’t use a database by default (but it can) so that you don’t have to worry about updating.

So, again, save KarnaG3 some headache if you simply can’t resolve your problems with TVersity and try out PMS while being able to keep your TVersity install without interfering with it. AVForums post is here with more information and has a link to the download page in the first post.

Good luck to all!

Anyway…
Stop spamming about how great it is (you sound like a commercial - and ps - its a competitor - as is the other forum - sort of - that’s what makes this spam…thanks for another book all about it tho)…and GIVE US A LINK TO THE PROGRAM THEN.

[quote="Solipcyst"][color=#FF4000]…BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH …[/color]for PS3 users.

PMS is entirely self-contained application and will NOT interfere with TVersity in ANY way.
[color=#00FFFF]…BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH …OH YOU GET THE POINT :)…[/color][/quote]

Please see last response to previous spammer.

ps - I swear I’ll check it out if someone just gives me a link - just a note to the guy/gal who made PSM (which I read as PMS the first time thru) - Calling it “Playstation Media Server” was probably bad for business - a Google search returns all kinds of information on …you guessed it: Playstation Media Server. The one on the PS3. The one from Sony. The one that isn’t a media server. This is getting ridiculous.

EDIT
oH OH OH!! I’ve got it: You could call it Playstation Media Server Server: The One That IS a Media Server Server. Then there’d be no [blantantly obvious] confusion. :)