Tversity - Making it Work for PS3 *updated 11/23/09

In fact, its called "Java Ps3 Media Server".

http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/

And it rocks as hell!

No one have spammed anything, in contrary we have been fair and nice to offer this advice/help.
Not like you, beeing unfriendly against everyone in this thread!
Its as easy as it gets, PS3 Media Server isnt comparable to TVersity, its miles far infront of TVersity.

My god, you’re all acting like a bunch of children. We all just want a way to stream our movies and the like in a way that doesn’t get garbled, or stutter.

Can’t we all just talk about this without all the biting sarcasm against one another?

I cant get the PS3 to stream MP3’s without at least a 20 second buffer at the beginning of each track & between each track of album. Seen this issuer a loot by trawling the internet BUT no answer :(

I am connected wired via homeplugs & have installed TVersity as per 1st page ( i get exact same issue wirelessly)

I have opened up DMZ in router to allow PS3 & PC to talk BUT no difference.

TO RUB SALT INTO THE WOUNDS MY XBOX360 WORKS FINE…NO GAPS/NO BUFFEREING - FAULTLESS :evil:

Any ideas

[quote=“super-saint”]I cant get the PS3 to stream MP3’s without at least a 20 second buffer at the beginning of each track & between each track of album. Seen this issuer a loot by trawling the internet BUT no answer :(

I am connected wired via homeplugs & have installed TVersity as per 1st page ( i get exact same issue wirelessly)

I have opened up DMZ in router to allow PS3 & PC to talk BUT no difference.

TO RUB SALT INTO THE WOUNDS MY XBOX360 WORKS FINE…NO GAPS/NO BUFFEREING - FAULTLESS :evil:

Any ideas[/quote]

I had a similar issue when I first setup Tversity. If you have followed my guide, then you have installed FFDShow Audio, so I’m assuming you DO have this program right now…correct me if I’m wrong.

FFDShow will be setup by default to decode MP3’s. You can, if you’d like assign another codec to decode them (I suggest LAME if any other codec is used) but FFDShow does a pretty decent job.

HOWEVER, PS3 natively supports MP3 decoding, so unless you’ve told Tversity to Always Transcode for your music folder it will only stream the MP3 directly, usually meaning more buffer time for the PS3. Try setting your music folder, in Tv, to Always for the transcode option.

You may want to double-check that FFDshow is set to decode MP3’s and that you don’t have any sound-altering things setup in FFDShow. If you used the version listed in the guide, or the most recent version from Free-Codecs.com, then you don’t need to change anything in FFDShow.

Has anyone seen my thread under the Bug forum?:

http://forums.tversity.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13692

I’m trying to get this some attention…

I know for a fact this is not a PS3 or Wireless LAN issue.

Can somebody with the problem confirm their throughput using WGET (no transcoding) and their MTU size? We need to get some attention on this issue.

Thanks

Ok, I gave you the benefit of the doubt, but now there’s no denying that you are at best a lazy fool. Maybe you used to care, but obviously not anymore. Lesson to learn: don’t post a how-to guide without expecting some headache in return.

1. Re-read my original post on the subject —>>>> HERE <<<<— and you will see that I had provided a link not only to the program itself, but to the forum post with instructions and discussion on it as well. I’m sorry if you can’t spot an inline link.

2. Calling it “Don’t Use This Playstation Media Server” couldn’t even be bad for business because this is a free project made available to the world at large out of the goodness of the developer’s heart. TVersity likely plans to sell it’s software down the road. PMS (yes, PMS, as I’m not sure how you could think that PSM stands for PS3 Media Server) is just a homegrown and completely free alternative.

3. I never spammed. I was offering a possible solution, even if only temporary, to those out there who are still having problems despite following your guide to the letter.

he’s right KarnaG3…

they are offering PMS as an alternative to your TVersity setup. I followed the guide exactly, and navigated through the vague spots, and am now left off WORSE than where I was before. .mkv won’t stream, same as always, but now TVersity is cutting the subtitles off my episodes, stuttering like MAD, and lots of file corruption (even when it plays fine in MPC). The only single thing I didn’t follow, because it wasn’t in the actual guide, was to delete the actual TVersity folder after uninstallation. I am tempted to try it again, with that step included, but have a very good feeling it will be another waste of time. That’s not a knock to your guide or anything, some things just won’t work on some systems.

on top of that, i had to uninstall every single program with a codec association, reg cleaning, reboots, etc, all to no avail.

you have 18 pages of people with problems here, so what is the big deal with someone offering an alternative…? I’m gonna try PMS out for now, but i’ll leave you with my problems and maybe you can make something of it:

• a simple .avi file (from a specific series that i converted myself) won’t play. PROBLEM: these files originated in .ogm with JAP and ENG audio, and subtitle selection. I converted them all to .avi for compatibility concerns using OGMtoAVI (http://ogmtoavi.sourceforge.net/), and chose to preserve subtitles, but the .avi file i end up with has selectable audio and subtitles ON/OFF. I intended for the file to be JAP audio with permanent subtitles. does this audio/sub selection have anything to do with the “Corrupted Data” message I get when trying to play…? Do you know of a program that could condense different layers into one straight audio/video stream? (don’t know if thats correct terminology, but you get the idea)

• .mkv files not playing. Not a huge concern, as I am also converting those to .avi (for same reason), but the .avi file I’m left with does not seem to display fully on the screen. I have not seen this problem before with other subtitled videos, but when I change the Display setting in the PS3’s [Triangle] menu to “Full screen”, it cuts off just enough of the bottom so I can’t see the subtitles. I didn’t buy a widescreen TV to watch things in inverse-widescreen (black bars on sides of picture instead of top/bottom)…

• I used the same settings as you, and for the first time ever, last night, experienced non-stop stutter. It took me maybe 10 minutes to watch the first minute of a show. I am going to switch my PS3 over to ethernet cable instead of WiFi today and see if it helps at all.

Thanks for any help you can offer on top of the in-depth guide you’ve already provided.

SPECS:

Windows XP x64 <— is this an issue…?
AMD X2 4400+
2GB RAM
tons of HD space
256mb vid card
internet is 10mbit down/640kbit up

just a quick update… still wondering about TVersity tho.

I did a codec strip and installed PS3 Media Server, it played my .mkv files after a default install, with subtitles and everything (might have had DirectVobSub installed too tho). didn’t play my .avi files tho… strange?

phuqing tards the lot of you…just od what I do…install both have one run at boot up for on demand streaming and then for those dificult files…switch to PMS (which I think all of you have…lol) you can then transcode it on the fly to the PS3…then when your done simply copy the file from the PS3 via USB and replace your original…knowing it will work with the default server next time round.

Tversity is 10 time better overall but it does fail in some areas

PMS wins with transcoding speeds and the shear number of stuff it can convert…but it is ugle and the folder layout on the PS3 is bloody irritating, hence only using it for those extreme cases when it is needed.

PS using both is better for those who are A non techies, B too Lazy to follow the instructions, C too scared to phuq around with things they know little about

now kiss and make up for I post pictures of very ugly women doing very un erotic things

I HAVE SPOKEN!!!

I’m probably bringing up a previous problem that someone has had, so please don’t get too upset. I’ve looked over this topic and haven’t seen my problem but if someone can help me or direct me to somewhere I can get help I’d appreciate it. I went rule by rule, did everything step by step from this topic. I have looked around the web to see if I can get this to work out so I decided to finally create an account. I’m not sure what I should be doing, but when I try to get this going I start up Tversity. Then I search for media servers on my ps3, get nothing. Try again get nothing. When thats done I try to go to my internet browser (I already use port config btw), once a page comes up I write in my ip with the port:

The page cannot be displayed
The website may be experiencing a technical problem
Try accessing the site later (8071053d)

I’ve tried reinstalling it, I’ve downloaded everything in the right order. I have Windows SP3.

The last part might be meaningless but I figured I give you as much info as possible, and if you can help I’d appreciate it.

Here I am again. (See one of the first replies)

After a fresh start,a new setup from vista after a total format, I though to give this another try.
The first things to be installed where a firewall and av-program, next priority was Tversity, following this tut.

To make a long story short…It still doesn’t work for mkv’s here and indeed pms does the trick for my mkv’s.
For a better image though, full hd, I’m still using mkv2vob. It takes some time overnight, but the results are very nice.
(sound and picture) The highest bitrate I’ve seen was 90Mbs for the picture and 4.6 for the sound (linear PCM) and it rocks. PS3 starts stuttering after 200Mbs, I found out.

So thanks for all the input, but my mkv’s will be transcoded before streaming, if they want it or not.

Greetz Dimitri

Brilliant,

i followed all the advice and managed to get it going second time around. If it does not work with ps3 off try it with it switched on seemed to work for me.
i can now stream full HD 1920*1080 without any stuttering. or i just can’t see the difference which might well be the case.

cheers buddy you made my day

[quote=“rolstrol”]I’m probably bringing up a previous problem that someone has had, so please don’t get too upset. I’ve looked over this topic and haven’t seen my problem but if someone can help me or direct me to somewhere I can get help I’d appreciate it. I went rule by rule, did everything step by step from this topic. I have looked around the web to see if I can get this to work out so I decided to finally create an account. I’m not sure what I should be doing, but when I try to get this going I start up Tversity. Then I search for media servers on my ps3, get nothing. Try again get nothing. When thats done I try to go to my internet browser (I already use port config btw), once a page comes up I write in my ip with the port:

The page cannot be displayed
The website may be experiencing a technical problem
Try accessing the site later (8071053d)

I’ve tried reinstalling it, I’ve downloaded everything in the right order. I have Windows SP3.

The last part might be meaningless but I figured I give you as much info as possible, and if you can help I’d appreciate it.[/quote]

Does anyone know where I can get help on the problem or did I just waste time on this thing?

Its really frustrating me.

This guide has been spot on for me so far, followed it to the nth degree.

I have had some issues with MKV but seems to be sorted now. I had resolution set as 912x513, wired PS3 to router, laptop wirelessly to router, but had some stuttering. This also happened when I wired the laptop to the router. So I changed the resolution to 720x408, seems to be working ok (although I haven’t watched the whole video, it stopped stuttering in the same places). By the way this is also now set up as: laptop -> wireless -> router -> wired -> PS3.

My question is this: I’m running XP Home 2002 SP3, Intel Celeron 1.6GHz with 2GB of RAM.
The CPU is running at 100% during transcoding so I’m wondering (and I’m probably right) that my spec isn’t quite good enough. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks in advance!

Bit rate in the top right corner when playing the video didn’t get any higher than 2.0Mbs

tried everything in here including a clean install of windows, If I stream/transcode to a 360 everything works flawlessly using the PS3 on the same cable an it takes an age to buffer in SD audio stutters, 720p everything stutters and 1080p is unwatchable switching to wireless improves it a bit! using wmp11 and it works ok.
But the combination of Tversity,XP64 and PS3 isnt happy at all and I can find no reason for it!!!

Hello, this is my first post here so bear with me. I have got Tversity working on everything but .mkv files. I used to be able to get video with crappy sound, but I tried all the instructions at the start of this thread, and now I get a corrupted file error. When I try to play .mkv files through Tversity, it gives me a "save/open" dialog box and tries to open another tab/window in my browser. I am not sure where I mis-steped, but one thing I remember not doing is deleting the Tversity file folder from the C:\ drive after I uninstalled the program. Would this cause my issue?

How to make PS3 play all files within a directory of media server? I have set up my hometheater pc as a media server for the playstation 3 and have many tv shows on that server. When I watch on the PS3 it will play one episode, then at the end of that episode it will just stop instead of continuing on to the next episode (file). Is there a kind-of "play all" feature for the PS3 when watching from a media server? Thanks be to all.

external keyword tool ~ keyworddiscovery.com ~ keycompete.com ~ compete.com ~ webmasterworld.com

Thanks for the guide it has improved my situation a hell of a lot since I followed it.

However, I am still experiencing some problems with regards to AVC files stuttering, Mpeg-1 files corrupted and mpeg-1 subtitles not showing in the right language? I have played around with some of the settings on the ffdshow codec and have tried to modify some of the settings on the haali splitter but am still experiencing some problems.

Are there any stand out solutions I should try, in order to prevent:
a) AVC files from stuttering
b) certain Mpeg-1 files from not being corrputed
c) subtitles to play in the correct language.

please note that all the aforementioned files work flawlessly in mediaplayer classic.

I appreciate any suggestions you folks may have.

I followed this guide, and i tried doing what was said to get subtitles working but i just can’t seem to get them working, everything else is fine though, the icon for ffdshow does not come up when i play a file over TVersity to my PS3, however all files do play, i did set it to always transcode i don’t understand why i can’t get subs working, can you help me?

Another thing i would like to add when i test the same files in MPC it works with subs, and the ffdshow audio and video icons do come up, i am also using Windows 7.

So i have reinstalled, using this guide, registry cleaners i have really tried everything, i mean it all works fine i set to always transcode yet ffdshow does not show up when us ing TVersity but it does when MPC is playing and subs come up when MPC is playing too, i mean i really do want the ability to play MKV files however i want subs more, is my only option left is to resort to installing the codec pack that comes with TVersity?

If it helps this was all working fine in windows XP too, i installed it the same way and all files worked fine except i could see the ffdshow icons and i could add subs.

Ok well i decided to install the TVersity codec pack and just forget about MKVs because at least i would have subs, but it ffdshow won’t even come up when i install the TVersity codec pack, what gives!?

I’m not trying to steal any spotlight or anything, but I made my own guide based off what has always worked for me. I’ve never encountered problems with this setup. Might be worth a look: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=27398

I think some people might find it a bit easier to follow, and there are only two required downloads, TVersity, and a codec pack that includes Haali Media Splitter, etc, without having to download them all separately. Also provides a nice Settings application to make everything easier.