Tversity - Making it Work for PS3 *updated 11/23/09

Thanks for intersting guide.
After reading all post I still have two questions to the author.

1. Do you need to install codec pack that comes with TVersity?
  2. What is password for Registry Cleaning software that you had link on the first page?

Keep on doing a good work!

[quote=“grinch247”]:mrgreen: IT FINALLY WORKS!!! :mrgreen:

If you don’t have Flash for Firefox installed, install this first. No restart is necessary after this install, and YES it must be the Flash for Firefox.
Uninstall ALL codecs you have installed currently & Tversity. RESTART.
Install the CCCP. Restart
Install Tversity. UNCHECK the Tversity codec pack & Babylon things in the install. UNCHECK the “Start media server” and “Start Interface” at the end of the install. Do NOT start Tversity yet. RESTART
After the restart, everything should be kosher.

KarnaG3,
first of all, much appreciation… i can finally watch my "matroska" files. i kept trying your first post on this and it wouldnt work, then i slapped myself and decided to read further. i cleaned the hell out of my registery using auslogics registery cleaner, and after uninstalling all related software to this using the supplied uninstallers, i also manually deleted there leftovers in the program files folder. i do have a few problems now that i am this far, and would love your advice.

1. when attempting to play a mpeg-4 (under dimensions when i mouseover it says avc1, AAC) i get an "unsupported file" error, yet it plays just fine on the dektop that is serving all my stuff.

2. when i attempt to stream some of the rss feeds under "guide" i get "corrupt data".

i havent checked all of my flicks to see if the work, but so far so good execpt for the mpeg-4. any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. and thanks again i have been working on this for about 3 days now.[/quote]

Ironically, MKVs are a file container format; they have a video stream & audio stream in a "container"…little different than MP4, AVI, etc.

MKVs usually have an h.264 video stream & AAC, MP3 or DTS audio stream; if they have h.264 & AAC, they are essentially an MP4 with a different name… but the CCCP codecs won’t play them.

[color=#FF0000]What you’ll need to do is install Quicktime OR Quicktime Alternative (recommended, less bulky, no quicktime player just the codec).[/color]

You can install Quicktime from the Apple Quicktime site, or you can download Quicktime Alternative here: http://codecs.com/download/QuickTime_Alternative.htm

1. STOP TVERSITY
  2. Install QT Alt/QT
  3. Restart your PC
  4. Enjoy.

edit Regarding the RSS feeds from “Guide” in Tversity: many of them are outdated; they haven’t changed at all for about a year or so, so I wouldn’t rely on them. Hulu.com has TONS of awesome stuff for free. Try that.

If you still have issues with RSS try setting the “folder” for the RSS feed (in Tversity Library) to “When Needed” for the transcode setting under the Advanced tab. You’ll need to Restart the Tversity server once you change the transcode settings.

thanks in advance for all your help everybody :)

I decided to give tversity a shot after spending the last six month coverting all my MKV files to blu ray or M2TS files to play on PS3.

I have set up tversity according to the karnag3 setup guide but…

i am having login issues:(

i am in the services menu trying to set up the login type. I select “this account”, browse in advanced and “find now” to find my admin user but my user name isnt there :(. I am set as the admisntrator under the user account settings in windows but it’s not here… If i pick administrator, i can login, and I can see all the folders in my library on PS3, but all MKV files are “corrupted” and will not play. The videos play fine in media player classic on my PC. M2TS files playfine…any help would be much appreciated.

thanks!

[quote=“edog5”]thanks in advance for all your help everybody :)

I decided to give tversity a shot after spending the last six month coverting all my MKV files to blu ray or M2TS files to play on PS3.

i am in the services menu trying to set up the login type. I select “this account”, browse in advanced and “find now” to find my admin user but my user name isnt there :(. I am set as the admisntrator under the user account settings in windows but it’s not here… If i pick administrator, i can login, and I can see all the folders in my library on PS3, but all MKV files are “corrupted” and will not play. The videos play fine in media player classic on my PC. M2TS files playfine…any help would be much appreciated.

thanks![/quote]

Make sure transcoding is always on.

[quote="abigali"]How to make PS3 play all files within a directory of media server? I have set up my hometheater pc as a media server for the playstation 3 and have many tv shows on that server. When I watch on the PS3 it will play one episode, then at the end of that episode it will just stop instead of continuing on to the next episode (file). Is there a kind-of "play all" feature for the PS3 when watching from a media server? Thanks be to all.

external keyword tool ~ keyworddiscovery.com ~ keycompete.com ~ compete.com ~ webmasterworld.com[/quote]

Unfortunately what you’re asking for is a playlist and as of right now there is no such thing for videos. But its a great suggestion and you should put it in the suggestion thread in the Tversity forum.

[quote=“edog5”]thanks in advance for all your help everybody :)

thanks![/quote]

Sorry, this is MY bad. This is actually an unnecessary step for Tversity now. It was previously necessary for some people, but its moot now. I’d suggest a fresh install of your codes; I recommend CCCP found here: http://www.cccp-project.net/ and a fresh install of Tversity.

Install the codecs first, RESTART, then install Tversity, DON’T start it, RESTART, enjoy.

I doubt with the newest version you have an “corrupted files” error messages, but as I noted above, this is usually due to one of two or both things: 1) The folder and/or drive you are trying to access doesn’t have sharing enabled, in which case you need to share the folder/drive with media (you can even just do file by file if you prefer) with yourself (your own windows login name) by right clicking the folder/drive and selecting Sharing. Let me know if you get lost. 2) You haven’t rebuilt your Tversity library since a major change in your codecs, Tversity settings or folder settings in windows. Hit the little refresh button at the top of Tversity, restart your PS3 and restart the Tversity media server and you should be good.

KarnaG3, this worked beautifully thank you very much… I was making the mistake of not rebooting/keeping old codecs around…THANKS AGAIN… One more question, is it possible for me to watch 2 movies (Quantum of Solice, and Valkyrie) that are in DTS with this setup? Currently the movie plays fine but i have no audio. do i have to convert it to DD from DTS or should it play that as well?

Thx

[color=#FF0000]UGH, this "guide" caused me no end of grief.[/color]

Haali Media Splitter was the main culprit for preventing my system from transcoding and streaming MKV’s to my PS3.
I kept thinking it was something else because the thread creator seemed adamant Haali was a key ingredient in running MKV’s but… nope, it was Haali.
I turned it off, and everything fell into place.

Hopefully this post gets corrected as it doesn’t work!

This guide, however, does work. I followed it step by step and the settings were perfect:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=27398

Made basic installation following the guide. I have not tried all the codecs and file formats yet, but it seems to be working.

Recurring problem: The media server connection seems to go down randomly. Again, not enough testing to determine a pattern, but it doesn’t seem as stable as it was under XP. Hope they come out with a Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit) version soon.

That’s good to hear. I didn’t get as much done this weekend as I hoped…but I’ll get to it soon and post what I expect to be another positive report!

KarnaG3,

I’ve followed your guide step by step. I uninstalled everything, including Nero. I ran a registry scan and cleaned everything up. REBOOTED

I then installed CCCP, REBOOTED. Installed TVersity without its codecs. I followed your MKV instructions to the last dot. I created a folder for all my MKV files, set it to transcode always.

Now each time I try to play a MKV file, it says the data is corrupt and also on my computer I get a "mediaserver.exe has stopped working" error.

If I use tsmuxer and convert the MKV files into a m2ts file, then it works fine. But alone as a MKV, it crashes my TVersity everytime!

I’ve tried this with a few different MKV files.

Any idea what is going on here? Did I mess up somewhere (I really doubt it though) or is there something that is conflicting with TVersity on my computer?

Also does ps3 support DTS audio yet? I’ve had to encode the audio from all my MKV files into AC3 in order to get the sound to work. I started this about a year ago, but I’ve never actually tried DTS since then. I just automatically assume and convert them all to AC3 then use tsmuxer into a m2ts file. Its quite annoying but I guess I can’t complain when I’m paying $0 for a Blu-ray DVD LOL.

Thanks,
N.

Thanks for the great guide and for keeping it current. That’s a LOT of work. Have you, or anyone else, tried to follow these directions on a Windows 7 64-bit installation? I just finished installing Windows 7 last night and did a straight TVerity install, not following these dirctions, and it didn’t seem to work. Wondering if anyone has tried using this process in Windows 7.

Thanks.

[quote="Flak"]TVersity is set to PS3 as the device. I have also changed the PS3 profile to mpeg2 from mpeg16.

The fresh installs of Vista was just my way of making sure nothing else was causing the issue.

Tversity was stopped before making the codec changes. When I was attempting to play the files after getting the corrupted data message I’d go back and look at my server and I’d have a generic mediaserver.exe stopped message. So I’d have to restart Tversity.

My server is restarted after every codec change. In attempting to get this to work I have only made a single change at a time between reboots.
[/quote]

1. No where in the guide does it say to change the PS3 profile to MPEG16. This was an OLD tweak that is NOT necessary, and may cause codec compatibility issues. Reinstall Tversity, and don’t touch the profiles. They work fine. Also, with the way the program is written now, just editing XML isn’t going to act the way it used to.
  2. If you’ve made a codec change, you’ll have to delete the temp files in the Tversity folder AND reboot to ensure Tversity creates a new transcoded file AND that it sees the codec changes. Correct 1&2 and try again.

My guess is the primary cause of the issue is not clearing that temp folder. The change to the codec requires a new transcode, but even with a restart of the server Tversity will, by default, search for a pre-transcoded version of the same file. Its not smart enough to see that one was transcoded in 2.0 and your current codec settings are 5.1 surround.

**EDIT: You indicated you ripped the file using Handbrake. I need to know if you re-encoded the file (WAY longer) or reMUXed the file. If you remuxed it, it WILL NOT PLAY as a transcoded file in Tversity. You will HAVE to re-encode it.

In the future, do yourself a favor: screw MKV. Encode in MP4 h.264 with AAC audio in an MP4 format. Unless you need subtitles for some reason, you’re just causing a huge pain in the ass encoding in MKV. MP4 is capable of exactly the same quality as MKV. They BOTH use the SAME h.264 stream. Also, if you really need subtitles, you can hardcode them. There’s no use in putting them in a MKV container just to turn them on and off if you actually need them to understand the language anyway. MP4 h.264 w/AAC audio is natively compatible with PS3 and Xbox 360, so no transcoding required. Also, AAC now accepts 5.1 surround encoding, and if all else fails you can encode in AC3 instead, but you’ll still have to transcode because of the audio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding

edit just re-read your post: in your OWN “code” above it states you’re using English subtitles. Unless you type in English but speak a different language or just like to mute the TV and read subtitles, MKV is a waste of your time. (or if you have a deaf friend, I guess I can see this being useful)

MKV is a file container. The resolution displayed in Windows & other PC-based media players is a SETTING for that container. This resolution is NOT necessarily the resolution of the VIDEO stream.

So what does THAT mean? MKV usually contains a video stream of H.264 video. This video STREAM could be @ 878x472, but the MKV container is set at 1280x688. A PC media player will display it at the resolution that the MKV container is set at.

When transcoding, however, the STREAM is read, NOT the MKV setting. This is another reason why MKV SUCKS ASS. The stream resolution is set at whatever the picture is WITHOUT the black bars on top & bottom.

The ONLY way to solve this is the re-encode the MKV. I’d suggest using MP4 format in h.264 with AAC audio.

Also, keep in mind the resolution setting in Tversity is a MAXIMUM RESOLUTION NOT A FORCED RESOLUTION. I.E. it makes sure the resolution never goes above 1280x720 (in your case). If the resolution is LOWER than the resolution you set in Tversity (1280x[color=#FF0000]688[/color] > 1280x[color=#FF0000]720[/color]). Actually, the FACT that the native video is 1280x688 and its displaying in 878x472 is the smoking gun that the problem is that the video stream is in a different resolution.

If you don’t believe me, try playing it in Media Player Classic, found here: http://codecs.com/download/Media_Player_Classic.htm. While playing the SPECIFIC video that is doing this, go to File/Properties/Details, and you’ll see something like this:

You’ll notice the two red boxes (and the half-erased title :)) that show the resolution. The [color=#FF0000]top[/color] one is the resolution it is DISPLAYING and the [color=#FF0000]bottom[/color] is the resolution of the STREAM. If they don’t match, the problem I described is the cause and you must re-encode the file. [color=#0000FF]If they DO match, post back WITH A SCREENSHOT[/color].

edit one last note: this usually occurs when ripping directly from DVD/Blu-ray to MKV, rather than ripping to a traditional file type like MP4. MKV ripping ends up with a stream the size of the PICTURE AREA (872x472) and creates a container that tells the video player that its 1280x688. The player has no choice but to fill the empty space with black. Traditional file types like AVI and MP4 will read the display resolution of the DVD and make THIS the picture area, so the video stream INCLUDES the black lines.

everytime i make a leap foward getting tversity working i encounter more problems. these however i dont think are software related. im running a netgear wndr3300 router to my ps3 wirelessly. i keep getting network errors and dlna errors. movies stop playing or latley have been choppy, at times when there is no other network traffic other than tversity being played, no wow, no torrents. any router suggestions?

TVersity is set to PS3 as the device. I have also changed the PS3 profile to mpeg2 from mpeg16.

The fresh installs of Vista was just my way of making sure nothing else was causing the issue.

Tversity was stopped before making the codec changes. When I was attempting to play the files after getting the corrupted data message I’d go back and look at my server and I’d have a generic mediaserver.exe stopped message. So I’d have to restart Tversity.

My server is restarted after every codec change. In attempting to get this to work I have only made a single change at a time between reboots.

Here is what I am trying to play, it is a retail dvd I own ripped with handbrake to an MKV container using x.264 and AC3 (I am ripping my whole dvd collection this way, it works in PS3M fine, but I have the nudge to get it working with tversity again)

[code]Format : Matroska
File size : 1.19 GiB
Duration : 1h 57mn
Overall bit rate : 1 447 Kbps
Writing application : HandBrake svn2845

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L3.0
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 3 frames
Muxing mode : Container profile=Unknown@3.0
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate : 970 Kbps
Nominal bit rate : 1 000 Kbps
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 304 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.35:1
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Resolution : 24 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.185
Stream size : 818 MiB (67%)
Writing library : x264 core 76
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=1 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=abr / mbtree=1 / bitrate=1000 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Color primaries : BT.601-6 525, BT.1358 525, BT.1700 NTSC, SMPTE 170M
Transfer characteristics : BT.709-5, BT.1361
Matrix coefficients : BT.601-6 525, BT.1358 525, BT.1700 NTSC, SMPTE 170M

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Codec ID : A_AC3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 448 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Stream size : 378 MiB (31%)
Language : English

Text
ID : 3
Format : VobSub
Codec ID : S_VOBSUB
Codec ID/Info : The same subtitle format used on DVDs
Language : English[/code]

Okay, I’m only gonna say this once: READ. You did NOT read the guide if you’re wondering WHY you have 2 channel audio now.

[color=#FF0000]As noted in the guide[/color], FFDShow can be adjusted to use something other than 2 Channel audio but[color=#FF0000] the default is 2.0.[/color]

This is found in Section 7: HD Issues.

Here are instructions on how to adjust that setting in FFDShow. [color=#0000BF]This assumes you have followed the guide and are using the latest version of Tversity AND CCCP AND have STOPPED the Tversity server. It also assumes you have NOTHING else open that would access codecs including an internet browser:[/color]

1. In Windows, go to your Start Menu and find Combined Community Codec Pack, then Filters, then FFDShow Audio Decoder Config (do NOT find the FFDShow program in the CCCP folder. CCCP interfaces with FFDShow differently than a standard FFDShow install.)

2. On the left side of FFDShow Audio Decoder are various things you can use to tweak the sound. Find the only one that’s checked, labeled “Mixer”. [color=#0000BF] I highly recommend leaving the other settings alone for purposes of compatibility[/color] as these affects, if used, must be applied real-time during transcoding which requires additional processing. Also, if you only have 2.0, its hardly going to help you; if you have a surround sound system, then you don’t need it.

3. Under Mixer is a drop-down menu where you can select your configuration. Using “same as input” is your best bet for compatibility, but things that are in 2.0 will still be sent in 2.0, however IF you have a smart surround sound receiver, it will “up-mix” to 5.0 or whatever you use. Alternatively, you can select the speaker config that works for you but I’d suggest NOT selecting either of the Dolby settings as these WILL cause issues transcoding on non-Dolby recordings. “Same as input” WILL allow DTS & Dolby to be sent through correctly if the original file includes these types of streams.

Once you’ve selected your setup, hit Apply, hit OK, and then [color=#FF0000]REBOOT your PC[/color]. Codec settings changes should always be followed by a reboot.

Hiya

Just curious but how come I thought you said in the earlier guide that it was better to stick to just FFDShow and Haali instead of codec packs and now you’re saying to use the CCCP codec pack? Which one do you really think is better?

[quote="Chrifister"]Hiya

Just curious but how come I thought you said in the earlier guide that it was better to stick to just FFDShow and Haali instead of codec packs and now you’re saying to use the CCCP codec pack? Which one do you really think is better?[/quote]

The reason the guide NOW says CCCP is because I feel that CCCP is the best all-around solution for compatibility. Haali is included in CCCP so no additional installation is needed. Xvid and Divx are handled properly with no special configuration needed (as is sometimes necessary when using a generic FFDShow install).

Its also regularly updated with a custom-tweaked version of FFDShow with settings specifically configured for ultimate compatibility for all included codecs.

A generic install of FFDShow may work, but when adding additional codecs needs adjustment (in some cases).

CCCP is very reliable and is the ONLY codec pack I’ve ever used that hasn’t given me any issues. It also uses a “shell” program for managing the codecs which effectively prevents conflicts with programs that other programs might install (such as media programs like Nero).

Please note: [color=#0000BF]The reason I updated the guide is because it was out of date. What I recommended originally was what seemed to work best then. CCCP has given awesome performance for me in both XP and Vista, and is pretty much hassle-free.[/color]

IS there a way to stream RMVB files? I followed the guide correctly and I installed real alternative, however I still can’t play the rmvb files, please help