Tversity - Making it Work for PS3 *updated 11/23/09

I had to redo my fileserver. Upon reinstalling Tversity the way I had it before I only get 2ch audio when streaming movies and shows. So I tried this guide and the one stickied and both still only gave me 2ch audio. The last time I used tversity was before the "seperate" versions if it makes any difference…

I not sure I have found the right version “flash for firefox”. I have installed “installer_adobe_flash_player_(firefox,_mozilla,netscape&_opera)” but maybe you could provide me a link ?
I will try this out though.

EDIT : Did everything as you explained higher (except for the flash for firefox thingee which I’m unsure), didn’t change any of the TVersity default settings, and mediaplayer.exe still crashes when attempting to view an x264 mkv.

It happens when I try to view it through my PS3. My MKVs all work fine under windows. I don’t have quicktime and, of course, I didn’t install TVersiy codec pack as you said I shouldn’t.

I have WinXP 32 bits up to date. The problems arose when I had updated from an old version of TVersity that I had installed from ages (a version that I installed following your guide and which could play everything including mkvs but with an annoying stuttering besides the fact my PS3 was wired)

I installed the new version over the old one, as I always did with any updates, assuming this new version would detect the old one and save my settings. But I lost every settings and my library.

Anyway now the problem is solved a different way :
I dont use TVersity anymore for viewing my MKVs, rather, I set up a DualView with my PC to my HDTV through a DVI/HDMI cable with an optical AC3 passthrough for the sound. ALL 1920*1080.24p without a stutter and Reclock filter to compensate the audio desync. I’d say now, every MKV with a decent bitrate plays fine… I mean BR quality. :D

Thanks for help :)

Sure, I can do that. I need to update this guide as it is outdated.

With the suggestion to use CCCP, this is INSTEAD of the codec pack included with Tversity.

The biggest mistake people make is laziness. Don’t install everything together, and don’t skip a restart.

[color=#BF0000]If you don’t have Flash for Firefox installed, install this first. No restart is necessary after this install, and YES it must be the Flash for Firefox.[/color]
Uninstall ALL codecs you have installed currently & Tversity. RESTART.
Install the CCCP. Restart
Install Tversity. UNCHECK the Tversity codec pack & Babylon things in the install. UNCHECK the “Start media server” and “Start Interface” at the end of the install. Do NOT start Tversity yet. RESTART
After the restart, everything should be kosher.

edit You don’t need to install FFDShow, this is included with the CCCP install.
I know this is a quick answer, but I will update the guide as requested later this week.

[quote="Alpahc"][quote="KarnaG3"]

Are you trying to view this MKV with your media machine (i.e. xbox, ps3, etc) or is this occuring when you try to view the file in Windows?

[/quote]

It happens when I try to view it through my PS3. My MKVs all work fine under windows. I don’t have quicktime and, of course, I didn’t install TVersiy codec pack as you said I shouldn’t.[/quote]

I’m assuming you’re using XP and that it is 32bit NOT 64bit. Correct me if I’m wrong. And yes, there are serious issues with codec compatibility in 64bit Windows (especially MKV) in XP and Vista.

This sounds like a registry issue. My guess is that at some point you had more than one codec installed for playing MKV and both were instructed to be the dominant codec (you can have multiple codecs installed for vid type and FFDShow can be instructed to prefer one over the other, but unless this is manually adjusted, having two codecs for the same thing causes a registry conflict).

My suggestion would be to follow all of the steps I’ve already given, however, after uninstalling Tversity and ALL of your codecs, run Registry Mechanic (or McAfee registry cleaner works well if you have that) then restart, run it again, if it finds anything else after the 2nd run, restart and run it again until it finds nothing. You can do this OR you can manually remove all of the registry entries for Tversity AND, most importantly, all of your codecs…but that’s a huge pain in the @$$ so I don’t recommend it.

Also, always check under Program Files (C:\Program Files) and make sure to manually delete (if they’re still there) the folders for your codecs & Tversity. This will ensure that the previous settings are completely gone on a new install (that, and the registry cleaner of course).

Let me know what happens. If you need Registry Mechanic, you can get it here: http://www.pctools.com/registry-mechanic/download/ but you’ll have to get your own registration key if you want the full version. The trial version still repairs a lot of stuff and it may resolve your issue, but I’d suggest the full.

[quote=“Alpahc”]I not sure I have found the right version “flash for firefox”. I have installed “installer_adobe_flash_player_(firefox,_mozilla,netscape&_opera)” but maybe you could provide me a link ?
I will try this out though.

EDIT : Did everything as you explained higher (except for the flash for firefox thingee which I’m unsure), didn’t change any of the TVersity default settings, and mediaplayer.exe still crashes when attempting to view an x264 mkv.[/quote]

Are you trying to view this MKV with your media machine (i.e. xbox, ps3, etc) or is this occuring when you try to view the file in Windows?

Either way, what happens when you try to view it in Windows? Also, do you have Quicktime installed? If you’re unsure and didn’t uninstall it when you uninstalled other codecs, make sure you do. NOTE: if you installed iTunes, then you also installed Quicktime. x264 streams in MKV are actually the same as x264 streams in MP4; i.e. they can be read by Quicktime. Quicktime has a very “egotistical” approach in Windows; if no other codec is found, sometimes Quicktime automatically takes over file association with compatible file types. In other words, when you uninstalled your codecs originally, but didn’t install Quicktime, then re-installed codecs, this may have resulted in a registry error.

Also, are you installing the codec pack that comes with Tversity as well? Because you want to make sure you ARE NOT installing this. Post back with this info and I’ll try to help.

Also, I would be glad if you had added more details to your tutorial. (install tversity with his codec pack or not, install the fdshow submitted with tversity or not…)

Excellent guide! I followed it all the way through an my PS3 can now see and play Mkv files.

One problem though— Despite following your directions specifically for making MKV subtitles working (and restarting) I still cannot see subtitles on the PS3. The subtitles DO show up in Windows Media Player Classic just fine when playing the mkv.

Are there any additional settings that might help it out? :|

To answer your last question, no, but a fresh install (with the folder deleted :)) couldn’t hurt.

I’m unclear on your question though: are you trying to play the file IN the Tversity GUI in Windows or on the PS3?

Either way, if you’re getting a corrupted file error, its probably nothing to do with your setup. When you get this, shut down the PS3, rebuild your library in Tversity, or refresh the folder that gave you that error where that video was located, then restart Tversity server under Settings and start the PS3 back up and try it again.

Depending on where the file is on your system, such as on a USB or external drive, you may want to try to enable sharing on the folder. You only need to share it with yourself; your windows user name, but sometimes this helps avoid the corrupted file error.

Well I finally finished my first Blu-Ray backup. I ripped to an MKV because in RipBot, when I demuxed the raw PCM track to FLAC, it only allowed me to mux the FLAC audio with an MKV and not AVCHD file. I wanted to preserve as much of the audio quality as possible. I couldn’t play the MKV on Tversity. The steps to get that to work require Haali Media Splitter to be removed and that happens to be required for RipBot to work. Go figure.

Is there an easy way to turn Haali on and off?

So then I used eac3to to convert the FLAC to AC3 and then TSMuxer to mux the AC3 with the video from the MKV to create an m2ts. Go figure, TSMuxer can’t load FLAC audio. No one likes FLAC! It results in a 3GB m2ts file that is 1080P resolution (the black bars cropped it is 1920x802). Amazing to get that kind of file size with high-def. And PS3 streams it via Tversity, no problem.

But I’ve found neither Tversity or PSM will display the 1/2/5 min scene browser (square button). On the m2ts it just displayes ? marks. On the mkv, it throws a corrupt data error as soon as you hit square. Is it even possible to get the scene browser to work on streamed high-def that isn’t an MP4 file?

[quote="gtp_98c"]KarnaG3, this worked beautifully thank you very much… I was making the mistake of not rebooting/keeping old codecs around…THANKS AGAIN… One more question, is it possible for me to watch 2 movies (Quantum of Solice, and Valkyrie) that are in DTS with this setup? Currently the movie plays fine but i have no audio. do i have to convert it to DD from DTS or should it play that as well?

Thx[/quote]

First, again, everyone, sorry for all the late replies, hopefully I still help someone :)

Well, originally I would have said NO to DTS, but here’s the deal:

Some DTS, if properly encoded CAN be transcoded, but you’ll need this little dude from DCBass: http://www.riverpast.com/en/download/extras/dcbass/

Riverpast makes awesome conversion and other media tools and that link has a download link to DCBass from the Riverpast site.

The catch is, its hit and miss, as it really depends on whether or not it was encoded correctly so you’ll just have to install it and then try and if it works, then good, if not, sorry.

AC3 Filter WILL play DTS, but CAUTION: you’ll want to disable it from decoding anything OTHER than DTS, and its track record with Tv is about as good as Michael Jordan’s golfing career: flakey. I’d stay away from it, but here’s a link if you want to try…again caution: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/AC3_Filter.htm

DCBass works well, and doesn’t conflict. Just remember to restart after the install.

edit Another option, if all else fails, is a pretty simple re-encode of the audio, then remux.

I did this with one MKV that was a huge pain and just wouldn’t work right. I used River Past Audio Cleaner after installing DCBass to convert the DTS file to MP3. I did this by demuxing the DTS audio file and H.264 video from the MKV, converted the DTS to MP3, then remuxed (NOT the same as encoding, only takes about 10 min) the H.264 video & MP3 into an MKV.
An alternative, probably higher quality, would be to do the same thing but convert the DTS to AAC. Let me know if you need help if it gets to this point :).

Hello KarnaG3,

I used to have everything that worked fine (except a stuttering problem on x264 MKVs) then I updated to the last TVERISTY version, and now I can’t read mkv’s anymore. (data corrupted, even after a fresh install, following your first page tutorial scrupulously)

You say some stuff is outdated, I don’t get it all but I suggest you edit your tutorial with the new instructions. (The 20 pages are kinda hard to follow :shock: )

I also tried to delete every codec and install CCCP reboot, then tveristy, reboot but then media server crashed when I tried to watch such MKV.

Any help ?

[quote="Flak"]Have already tried same as input, even with transcoding set to always, changing the mixer to same as input gives the data corruption error message and then the service on the server stops. All the media works when the mixer is set to 2ch.

As stated previously, I have gone through my old install which worked fine though that was before the "Pro" version was out. I have gone through your guide and the stickied guide. Each time doing a fresh format and clean install of Vista Business 64bit (installing from a flash drive to useable desktop is less then 25mins on my hardware). In all cases I get all media but only if the mixer is set to 2ch audio. Changing the mixer from anything other then 2ch gives the corrupted data error message and then the service on the server stops. I have tried both transcode always and transcode only when needed, neither made a difference.[/quote]

Is this happening on a specific file type?

Also, are you setting the Tversity setting “Media Playback Device” to PS3? Its possible the transcode doesn’t covert non-2 channel audio into a PS3-compatible format IF its set to auto-detect.

Also, a fresh install of Vista each time is a little overkill.

I’m not a dev, so it wasn’t me who changed anything in Pro.

Did you STOP the server BEFORE you changed the codec? If not, try this (noted that above, too, but you didn’t say you did this). From your notes, it appears that you changed it and then then the server stopped, so it appears you changed the codec while the server was running.

edit - I forgot CCCP had this setting in the main interface now. LEAVE THE FFDSHOW SETTING @ 2.0 and change it under the MAIN CCCP program and try again.

Also, you MUST REBOOT after you make a codec change like this if you expect it to work correctly - you also did NOT indicate you did this.

Hello everyone, can someone help me with my resolution problem on the PS3. I’m trying to play a 1280 x 688 MKV File on my PS3 but the video is only showing up as 878 x 472 and not maximum video resolution I have set up as 1280 x 720. I’ve never had a problem watching videos at this high resolution till now. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Have already tried same as input, even with transcoding set to always, changing the mixer to same as input gives the data corruption error message and then the service on the server stops. All the media works when the mixer is set to 2ch.

As stated previously, I have gone through my old install which worked fine though that was before the "Pro" version was out. I have gone through your guide and the stickied guide. Each time doing a fresh format and clean install of Vista Business 64bit (installing from a flash drive to useable desktop is less then 25mins on my hardware). In all cases I get all media but only if the mixer is set to 2ch audio. Changing the mixer from anything other then 2ch gives the corrupted data error message and then the service on the server stops. I have tried both transcode always and transcode only when needed, neither made a difference.

First of all, thanks for the excellent guide. I have been using the free version of Tversity and streaming to PS3 for about 2+ years without issue (no upgrades since original install). Found your guide back then, followed it to the letter, and it worked perfectly on my XP SP2 machine the first time.

Now the question: I wish to access premium content via PS3 and want to install the latest Tversity Pro version. Can I just install this over the top of my current installation or do I need to do some heavy lifting (uninstall codecs, then follow your guide again, etc?) Please advise

Thanks again

Ed

PS - I have installed who knows what on the subject pc, but so far I have no known issues with original install of Tversity. Also, can you please advise best way to uninstall codecs if necessary?

[quote=“ubermetroid”][quote=“edog5”]thanks in advance for all your help everybody :)

I decided to give tversity a shot after spending the last six month coverting all my MKV files to blu ray or M2TS files to play on PS3.

I have set up tversity according to the karnag3 setup guide but…

i am having login issues:(

i am in the services menu trying to set up the login type. I select “this account”, browse in advanced and “find now” to find my admin user but my user name isnt there :(. I am set as the admisntrator under the user account settings in windows but it’s not here… If i pick administrator, i can login, and I can see all the folders in my library on PS3, but all MKV files are “corrupted” and will not play. The videos play fine in media player classic on my PC. M2TS files playfine…any help would be much appreciated.

thanks![/quote]

Make sure transcoding is always on.[/quote]

Wrong. Find the folder/file in Tversity under Library. Double-click it and click Advanced. Make sure it is set to “When Needed”. Under settings, make sure its set to PS3. Tversity will automatically identify files that are natively supported (i.e. no transcoding needed) and those that aren’t and it will transcode accordingly.

Do not set transcoding to “always on” or you’ll end up using a crap ton of CPU power, having the inability to seek thru standard AVI/Divx/Xvid files and you might also have MORE incompatibility issues. Mostly, its just slower.

[quote="ollie_joe"]Thanks for the guide it has improved my situation a hell of a lot since I followed it.

However, I am still experiencing some problems with regards to AVC files stuttering, Mpeg-1 files corrupted and mpeg-1 subtitles not showing in the right language? I have played around with some of the settings on the ffdshow codec and have tried to modify some of the settings on the haali splitter but am still experiencing some problems.

Are there any stand out solutions I should try, in order to prevent:
a) AVC files from stuttering
b) certain Mpeg-1 files from not being corrputed
c) subtitles to play in the correct language.

please note that all the aforementioned files work flawlessly in mediaplayer classic.

I appreciate any suggestions you folks may have.[/quote]

I understand this is a very late reply, haven’t checked the forums for a while.

Most recently, I have been using CCCP, found here: http://www.cccp-project.net/ for my codecs. It is simply the most issue-free codec pack I’ve used. In the past versions, it was somewhat issue-prone, but they seemed to have ironed out everything.

It works very well with streaming for Tversity, especially for MKV as the settings are specifically configured (unlike some variations of FFDShow, including the pack offered with Tversity’s install) to avoid conflicts.

My suggestion, as always is to start with a clean install of all of your codecs, then with Tversity, and I recommend using the CCCP. Install the codecs first, RESTART, then install Tversity, DO NOT RUN TVERSITY before you RESTART, and then see what happens.

You’ll want to leave the codec settings at default and you’ll need to reconfigure Tv. My guess is that you also have the same AC3 Filter issue most people have run into. Unfortunately, most codec packs that include FFDShow also include AC3 Filter. Not a huge issue except that most of them have both generic filters AND AC3 configured to run some of the same file types. By default, FFDShow will prioritize its only filters over an external filter unless set to do otherwise, which is NOT what you want it to do.

As far as subtitles (god, I never thought I’d say this) but I’d suggest re-encoding them to an H.264 MP4 container and include your subtitle files with them.

If this is above your head OR IF THEY ARE ALREADY MP4 OR MKV, I can help you remux them (much faster) and just change out the subtitle files. You basically remove the ones you don’t need and insert the ones with the language you do and the whole process takes above 5 minutes. That way you only have the RIGHT language to begin with :)

[quote="unikey"]tried everything in here including a clean install of windows, If I stream/transcode to a 360 everything works flawlessly using the PS3 on the same cable an it takes an age to buffer in SD audio stutters, 720p everything stutters and 1080p is unwatchable switching to wireless improves it a bit! using wmp11 and it works ok.
But the combination of Tversity,XP64 and PS3 isnt happy at all and I can find no reason for it!!![/quote]

Actually, you just answered your own question: XP[color=#FF0000]64[/color].

Most codecs are only 32bit compatible, especially the ones needed for 720p/1080p movies as these are almost exclusively encoded in H.264 in either an MP4 or MKV container, and Quicktime or the other alternative codecs for MP4 are 32bit ONLY as are the Haali & Gabest MKV filters.

The problem with codecs in a 64bit environment is that the program that is accessing them needs to know where to find them and in x64 they are not in their standard location.
Its likely you had less problems with some of your HD/MP4 stuff and WMV VC-1(semi-HD in some cases) on Xbox as it has native support for both, PS3 has limited support for MP4s and has VC-1 is not natively supported at all.

You can fuss with it all you want, but its likely you’ll need to use 32bit Windows to fully solve your problems… unless Haali or Gabest, or someone else, suddenly decides to update their MKV filters (which hasn’t happened since like 2006 so don’t hold your breath).

Also…I have to call BULLSHIT on you. You said WMP11 works ok. WMP11 does NOT transcode. It will only stream Divx/Xvid, some MP4 (not H.264, and defintely not HD/720/1080p) and WMV and that’s pretty much it. There are some non-HD MP4s that it will stream properly, but none of the HD stuff, and absolutely, without a doubt not MKV.
Also, WMP11 media sharing cannot be run when Tversity is installed, as installed Tversity disables WMP network sharing service and you can’t access it again without uninstalling Tversity.