Tversity - Making it Work for PS3 *updated 11/23/09

Hi people,

KarnaG3 i have some questions for you:

So i’m gessing that Vista Codec Pack, that was mentioned in previous post, is no longer needed. But, you don’t say anything about the codec pack that came along with tversity, i mean: will we install it or not?

I do know what codecs i have to install (ffdshow and hali, in this right order) but what about the codec pack that cames with tversity? Please clarify this.

On previous post, before edited, after install ffdshow we had to tweak a bunch of things related with the video extensions to open with, now we just leave it alone?

Another thing, i have the previous tversity running yet and my resolution is 1920x1080 and it works pretty well, but i got to say i have a Q9350 2.5Gb, should i keep this in the new version or is better to resize?

Also, no editing the config or profile files anymore?

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
Vita

I’ve set up everything the way the OP told me to but, it will not transcode anymore. Files that were working before i updated everything no longer work. files that do not need transcoding play flawlessly however the files that need transcoding will only be returned as corrupt files and the transcoder doesnt even get to 1% anyone got any ideas

WMV & WMA should be disabled in FFDShow Video & FFDShow Audio. VC-1 should also be disabled as this will be handled by WMV8 or WMV9

**your transcoding settings in Tversity (Tversity / Settings/ Transcoder/ Windows Media Encoder should have WMV8 or 9 selected ( I use WMV8, best results IMO). Make sure it isn’t disabled.

Please answer the following:

1. Do you get audio in Windows with WMV?
  2. If so, then do you get audio in only some and not others? IN WINDOWS? only on PS3?* both? This would indicate a particular issue w/a type of WMV, such as VC-1 (common).
  3. Do you have other codec packs installed? If so, re-read all of the instructions, starting at the beginning :)

If you get either issue 1 or 2, the key is IN WINDOWS. If the same thing happens in Windows, I’d start from scratch because you either 1) Changed the default FFDShow settings (which you shouldn’t have done) to handle either WMV, WMA and/or VC-1, in either or both FFShow Audio or Video, which it shouldn’t or 2) Something didn’t install correctly.

let me know what happens.

[quote="Stikko"]Hi.

I’ve followed the guide above letter by letter, but no success. The problem it seems, is that every file on my server is read by the PS3 as a “Mpeg-1” file, and hence I get the message “The data is corrputed” when I try to play them. If I however try the guide on the first page, and install only the ffdshow that follows the TVersity setup, I get to play all the files except HD-files, which is still read as mpeg-1.

Any tips? :)[/quote]

1. My guess is when you originally installed Tversity, you either a) didn’t unselect to install the Tversity codec pack or b) uninstalled your old codecs after Tversity was installed and then installed new codecs without uninstalling Tversity.

2. Assuming #1 is correct or close to, you need to (like I didn’t already say this) uninstall Tversity and all codecs and install from scratch. If you would rather use the FFDShow combo’d w/Tversity, that’s fine, but the newest one is more Vista compatible, so I prefer it… either way, then do #3

3. As I said before, the Haali splitter (my prefered for compatibility) or the Gabest splitter is necessary to run “HD” files (actually for most H.264/.MKV/.MP4 [if h.264 or similar]). FFDShow will run some, but not most H.264 files in Windows but doesn’t work for crap for transcoding for some reason. Install the Haali splitter from the link provided above (updates to the guide) or from the link provided by the Tversity website.

[quote="joksi"]I have the same problem!

Or, in fact, I can watch everything it seems but not MKV, I just get the data corrupted message and also the PS3 marks the file as MPEG-1?

At the moment im trying the solution with converting from MKV to MP4 with tsMuxer, and then I can stream the video file (with no noticeable difference in quality and takes about 2-3min) directly without transcoding, ie in WMP11 or TVersity too, and the PS3 marks the file as AVC. It seem to work good at 720p, however, why doesnt the embedded subtitle show? When watching on the PC there is subtitles. Any ideas?

Also, on top of everything, the MKVs after givin the corrupted data message, also makes TVersity crash,or better said just switch off the sharing so i need to start sharing again.[/quote]

Ok, seriously, sticko & joski - DID YOU EVEN READ MY UPDATED GUIDE? It specifically says "yes, you only need HAALI splitter* AND FFDSHOW".

You need either Haali or Gabest splitter to use MKV. Period.

I don’t know what “HD Homerun tuner” is, but if you chose to install VLC w/it you should be fine. Just make sure VLC is unselected in FFDShow Audio/Video (check both for related file types).

VLC is a "windows" file type, so its handled by WMV9 by default.

Please read my post above asking if you even read the guide, read the guide again, then read this:

1. You’re not following the guide or you would have realized you never installed Haali (as you noted you only installed FFDShow - the one that came with Tversity - the one I didn’t tell you to install).

2. You must install Haali or Gabest splitter to use MKV files. You can find them here: http://www.free-codecs.com Use the search function.

3. YOUR FILES WILL ALWAYS BE RECOGNIZED AS "MPEG-1" (in most cases) BY THE PS3. THIS IS HOW THE TRANSCODED STREAM IS SENT - IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ORIGINATING FILE TYPE.

***CORRUPT FILES OR SIMILAR ISSUE AFTER CODEC INSTALL/REINSTALL: ****

1. If you already had Tversity installed, then you didn’t read my guide :)

2. I HIGHLY recommend uninstalling Tversity completely when doing a new codec install or codec update.

3. If you’ve already done this and still get the message (or are too lazy to do a fresh install :)) you can
    a) delete all the folders/files you’ve added to Tversity (just from Tversity - don’t actually delete them)
    b) RESTART DO NOT add the folders/files back until after the restart
    c) STOP The Tversity service in services.msc or in the Tversity program
    d) While the Tversity service is stopped, re-add the folders/files to Tversity *DON’T START THE SERVICE AGAIN UNTIL the little circle thingy @ the top stops spinning indicating the library is updated **AND YOU CLEAR THE TEMPORARY MEDIA FILES - Delete Files, yes.

[quote="WildWayz"]Hi guys

I think I am acting dumb here, so please excuse me…

My setup is as follows:

PC -> 200mbps Home Plug
PS3 (2.5 - UK 40GB) -> 200mbps Home Plug
ADSL2+ Router (SpeedTouch 585n) -> 200mbps Home Plug
Sony Bravia KDL-46V2500 (720p, 1080i)

I am trying to stream HD content from the PC to the PS3 using Tversity (tried using Twonky Media but it doesnt pick up .mp4).

In order for the Media Server to see the HD file, I have to mkv2vob the file and output it as a .mp4.

If Tversity is set to use transcoding, the image is dark, blocky and the sound is like it is playing underwater.
If I disable transcoding, it plays fine.

If the content is 720p it plays it fine on the PS3.
…blah blahblah blah
I’ve also installed the latest TVersity and codecs, and set the output transcode res to what my TV supports, but when I now play content, the mediaplayer.exe crashes.
[/quote]

I’m not going to quote the entire novel this guy wrote but…

You didn’t read everything I wrote, if you did you would know that the resolution your TV supports is not relevant. What is relevant is what the PS3 can handle. I recommend using a resolution no higher than 918x516, which is a 16:9 ratio or 0.5625 factor. This will keep even your high-end MKV streaming at around 8.5-9MB/s which is the max your PS3 can handle on streamed video.

You need to reinstall from scratch, and if you’re savy use a reg cleaner before you reinstall.

1. PS3 has much more processing power than the 360, and in the end (this is not debateable, just the facts) it will be able to output better graphics (by far) and handle much larger games.

2. I’ve owned both and find the PS3 interface to be much faster, better looking & easier to navigate. The 360 interface is clunky and cartoony.

3. PS3 has wireless built-in w/Super G speeds. Xbox has wireless separate, for about $100, at standard wireless G speeds. Hmm.

4. Playstation Network is free, has free demo video in HD, free wallpapers (which you can actually see on PS3 but are barely visible because of the layout on 360), free themes, free demos… Xbox Live Gold is about $50/year. Hmm.

5. With a few exceptions, most games available on Xbox are also available on PS3. Both systems have exclusive titles, but here’s the kicker: PS3’s version of the same game on Xbox (with a little exception) is almost always significantly graphically superior to Xbox.

6. Call of Duty: World at War. Sure, its on Xbox too, but …well…put them side by side and you let me know. I’d say you’re starting to see the serious graphical abilities of the PS3 over the 360 with the most recent games.

I could go on forever, but other than the shameless PS3 promotion I’ve already given, I can also say that yes, its interface for Media Server applications is awesome, plus they just put out a firmware update that adds the “INTERVAL” option in videos, letting you search by thumbnailed, 1 minute (this can be adjusted to other intervals) intervals, great for looking for that scene in House, Season 4, Episode 15 where Cuddy dances around a pole in a schoolgirl outfit…oh sorry…got distracted there. ;)

VLC shouldn’t make a difference. It does not “install” codecs. It uses codecs specific to it only (internal codecs), versus codecs that are system-wide for your Windows installation (external codecs).

And as far as I can tell, 2.52 didn’t break anything,
it fixed th…[/quote]

Please see last post…and:

Besides adding cool navigation tools for video & audio, they also fixed the “signed out of playstation network” issue, “reformatted” the in-the-right-hand-corner messages in the little grey box…basically made the box smaller, supposedly improved network connections all around (which I did notice in COD4 and seem to have improved Tversity connections - no more DLNA errors recently ) and also added this is awesome the ability (like the Xbox) to automatically turn off your controller and/or the system after periods of inactivity!!! I loved that one because when I found out Xbox had it, and it seemed necessary, I was jealous :).

Rumor has it they also improved on the already natively-supported files types (like DIVX) and they’re compatibility w/the PS3 (doesn’t affect Tversity transcoding), I can’t say I’ve necessarily noticed any improvements here, but less DLNA errors may be the evidence.

Why not then tsMuxer, which i already have used?
It takes 2 minutes, and is supported by PS3 natively.

Although I have great news, i really aint sure why or how, but i did the third uninstall and reinstall, but this time I installed the ffdshow (codec pack) included with TVersity (i know, its one year old ffdshow release, but hey it works thats what counts) and afterwards I installed Haali media splitter. I also rebooted after each install, and know suddenly all my MKVs show streams to the PS3! =S

Still showing up as MPEG1, though.

I really dont know what made it work, however, it seem to work now. Now the question is, should i let ffdshow do AC3/DTS like now or should I disable it and install AC3 filter pack? Its late now, but tomorrow I will continue testing and change one thing in one step at a time, that is AC3 filter, subtitles with ffdshow transcoding (maybe try just replacing ffdshow to newest tryouts?) and foremost subtitles in MKVs (embedded/external).

So, my solution: TVersity WITH included codec pack + Haali media splitter on Windows Vista Business 32-bit. Which seems to work much, much better then the howto’s in this thread regarding MKV playback.

Joksi, I am going to chime in here. Why don’t you use the program mk42vob, load your mkv file, and output it to avi. For a 720p movie the process takes about 15 minutes for mkv2vob to output the .avi file. If you need help with this process let me know.

Hello! I’m from Poland and I’m new on this forum. Please forgive me my engish :P

I use TVersity for around 3 months and everything works fine but today when i try to start server i get error: “Unable to connect to the Internet” but i can use Firefox, FlashGet etc. which need Internet connections. When i go to the library tab i again get error but now it is : “Unable to connect to the server…”. I cant use TVersity now because of it:( I try thing with uTorrent to disable option from FAQ and it still not work :( I use RC4 version but i try with older and its the same problem. Please help me. matek2305

[quote="joksi"][quote="KarnaG3"][quote="joksi"]I have the same problem!

Or, in fact, I can watch everything it seems but not MKV, I just get the data corrupted message and also the PS3 marks the file as MPEG-1?

At the moment im trying the solution with converting from MKV to MP4 with tsMuxer, and then I can stream the video file (with no noticeable difference in quality and takes about 2-3min) directly without transcoding, ie in WMP11 or TVersity too, and the PS3 marks the file as AVC. It seem to work good at 720p, however, why doesnt the embedded subtitle show? When watching on the PC there is subtitles. Any ideas?

Also, on top of everything, the MKVs after givin the corrupted data message, also makes TVersity crash,or better said just switch off the sharing so i need to start sharing again.[/quote]

Ok, seriously, sticko & joski - DID YOU EVEN READ MY UPDATED GUIDE? It specifically says "yes, you only need HAALI splitter* AND FFDSHOW".

You need either Haali or Gabest splitter to use MKV. Period.[/quote]

I think you are so into your own thing, that You actually dont read at all on what your answering.

I have tried several things, and this includer cleaning the registry inbetween.
I have installed Vista Codec Pack, K-Lite Codec Pack, and just FFDshow and Haali OR Gabest separately. In all scenarios I can watch every single MKV file I have available, on my PC in WMP11.

BUT, the issue arises (only) when starting to stream to PS3 and its MKV, data corrupted is the only thing I get and in some scenarios also TVersity traybar icon just gets grayed out (sharing disabled, have to manually start it up again).

The issue with PS3 tagging TVersity files as MPEG1 is specific, cause when I used TVersity in a older release when changing to mpeg2 in the config.xml file all files were transcoded to MPEG2, so the PS3 also showed this. Now it doesnt matter, it always shows MPEG1.[/quote]

I have now uninstalled every single codec on my PC and TVersity, cleaned the registry, rebooted and reinstalled FFDshow tryouts, rebooted, installed Haali mediasplitter, rebooted, installed TVersity without codec pack, rebooted and then setup TVersity. Once again, MKV works great on the PC but corrupted data in the PS3!??

[quote="KarnaG3"][quote="joksi"]I have the same problem!

You need either Haali or Gabest splitter to use MKV. Period.[/quote]

I think you are so into your own thing, that You actually dont read at all on what your answering.

I have tried several things, and this includer cleaning the registry inbetween.
I have installed Vista Codec Pack, K-Lite Codec Pack, and just FFDshow and Haali OR Gabest separately. In all scenarios I can watch every single MKV file I have available, on my PC in WMP11.

BUT, the issue arises (only) when starting to stream to PS3 and its MKV, data corrupted is the only thing I get and in some scenarios also TVersity traybar icon just gets grayed out (sharing disabled, have to manually start it up again).

The issue with PS3 tagging TVersity files as MPEG1 is specific, cause when I used TVersity in a older release when changing to mpeg2 in the config.xml file all files were transcoded to MPEG2, so the PS3 also showed this. Now it doesnt matter, it always shows MPEG1.

Do you have to have a wired connection to make Tversity work with the PS3? I have a wireless connection with Vista Premium and have tried uninstalling/re-installing and I always get the "Data Corrupted". I have never had Tversity work and I installed it for the first time with 2.50 firmware using these instructions. I also never installed any codecs before Tversity.

Meanwhile, I have gone the Windows Media player route and forced my vista to “see” mp4 files, but the PS3 still can’t see mp4 files thru Vista. Anybody know how to change that? The only HD I’m interested in is from my own recording in Vista. Then I convert to mp4 using Video-9 and all I need is the PS3 to see the mp4 files on my Vista. Any ideas anyone? Thanks!

Ok kids. I followed this guide.

But when I would stream video to my PS3 I would get very poor speed, the video would pause and jump and just be slow to start.

So I got thinking maybe its nothing to do with Codec or Tversity or the Play station 3 at all.

So I look at my network card setting and I notice its set at Force 100 Full Duplex. So I change it to Full Autonegotiation and it works perfectly

Make sure your PS3 is also set to auto.

This is what fixed my Streaming problem.

Thanks for all the useful info. I set everything up fine and it all went well.

One question though - I was wondering if it is possible to change the Aspect Ratio. I have a normal TV - no widescreen :( - and when I switch to normal mode via the PS3 controller it cuts out the left and right side of the movie. Wide Screen has the big black bands on the top an bottom.

Can I change the picture to fit my screen?

Thanks in advance!

[quote="bigaljp"]Thanks for all the useful info. I set everything up fine and it all went well.

One question though - I was wondering if it is possible to change the Aspect Ratio. I have a normal TV - no widescreen :( - and when I switch to normal mode via the PS3 controller it cuts out the left and right side of the movie. Wide Screen has the big black bands on the top an bottom.

Can I change the picture to fit my screen?

Thanks in advance![/quote]

Those are pretty much your two options: You can see the entire picture, with the black bars on top and bottom or you can “fill the screen”, but loose part of the picture in the process. It’s unavoidable when switching from any wide-screen format to a 4:3 SD TV. A big factor in making the decision will be the size of your TV. If it is large enough that you can still enjoy the movie, go with the native wide-screen aspect ratio and see the entire picture. That’s what I did when I had a 50" (and even a 27") SD TV. But, if you are working with very small TV, you may want to “zoom” the picture to fill the screen. Depending on the movie, it may have been directed in such a way that it had TV broadcast in mind and you will not loose much.

By the way, even when you get your wide-screen HD set, which you will someday, you will still find thre are times there are bars on the top or sides of the picture. Source material comes in many different aspect ratios and there is no way to physically adjust the set so that they all fill the screen. (In a movie theater they can adjust the curtins to the ratio of the picture.) Personally, I would much rather see everything the director put on film than to fill my screen, just because it is there.

Torrid