TVersity on linux

hello guys

TVersity has been really my all in 1 media thing , but im working allot in linux these days , and every time i have to use it , i have to switch to windows , i really think that allot of people wish that tversity should be on linux now , the windows version is mostly very stable , and the dev team could work on a linux version

so i hope this get big support :)

reagrds

Boxee has lots of promise, but the authors of it have made some bonehead restrictions and decisions…
…such as you have to name all your media files with a certain format, or else boxee won’t list them!

[quote]From their FAQ
boxee currently supports three different types of naming conventions for tv shows.

Show.Title.S##E##.info.extension (double digits are required: S#E# will not work.)

also, if your tv show is not on tvdb, it will not show up in boxee.

boxee currently supports one naming convention for movies:
Title.extension

lastly, if your movie is not on imdb, it will not show up in boxee.
[/quote]
They’ve got to be kidding!

I was under the impression from a few other posts on the forums that after 1.0 was released the next major to-do item was a Linux version. I was extremely disappointed to see 1.5 released with a “Pro” version for premium content but still see no Linux support. I would love to get rid of the Windows virtual machine on my home server since the only thing it’s used for is sharing media through TVersity. I was really hoping to see something by now. Any update on when we might get that Linux version?

By the way, my preference would be for Red Hat based Linux distros (I use CentOS). Shouldn’t be too difficult to make it relatively version-independent though.

common guys , no tversity for linux

any comment developer guys ?

unfortunately there isnt a version for linux with TVersity but there is another option that is for linux and the best thing about it is the tversity people cant get mad at me for linking them because they dont have a windows version thus not a competing project. :)

www.Boxee.tv

only works with Linux and Mac but unfortunately if you dont use Ubuntu linux then you cant use it as it is only for Ubuntu. I like Ubuntu so I dont have a problem with that but some may.

I’m disappointed too that 1.5 pro was released before a linux version. Is there still a linux version in the works or has it been abandoned? I’m tired of having a windows server just for TVersity.

2 months later and still no comments from any of the devs? I’m starting to think you guys have no intentions of ever porting this to Linux. Kind of sad, really. A response from you guys would be very welcome.

We are getting serious about Linux, and still hope to offer something within several months. Please stay tuned.

That’s exciting! I’ll be first in line to play with it when you release something. Thanks for the update.

Count me in as a potential customer that can’t even try this without a linux app. Right now I don’t have windows at home and I can’t see me rebooting a dualboot system when i want to watch tv (especially since the TV and computer are on different floors =)

For linux the best streaming media server in years i have seen since (Windows Media Player) is Media Tomb And it is very user friendly by using conf. file using google and mediatomb website you can stream most major content do not forget tv versity can be run via linux using wine or similar emulators for windows

Still no Linux version? :cry: I have downloaded the latest pro version to have a play with on my Win desktop, but as it won’t run on my Linux server I won’t be buying it. I am almost tempted to donate to help push Linux dev forward but there isn’t even a Linux beta (or alpha) version available so not really keen on that front either.

Please bring on the Linux version! :P

[quote=“JedMeister”]Still no Linux version? :cry: I have downloaded the latest pro version to have a play with on my Win desktop, but as it won’t run on my Linux server I won’t be buying it. I am almost tempted to donate to help push Linux dev forward but there isn’t even a Linux beta (or alpha) version available so not really keen on that front either.

Please bring on the Linux version! :P[/quote]
I agree. I can’t justify donating without a pretty firm guarantee that my donation is going to Linux development. It’s a great program, but without a Linux version my money is staying put.

Of all the media apps I tried out on Windows, this was by far my favorite. Unfortunately the media server I moved to was Linux, so the runner up, Twonky, got my money.

I will gladly pay for this program if it is released for Linux but until then, I vote with my dollars!

No launch date at the moment, but things are progressing in the right direction.

Is this planned to be available in the free version and pro version or just one of the two?

Any update on this. I looked around and couldn’t find any Linux packages of TVersity. I would buy the Pro version if you had a Linux version or even supported WINE fully.

That is good news and I’d love to hear more as it becomes available. In case it helps guide development I’ll be running Ubuntu Lucid and I’m flexible between 32-bit and 64-bit. If necessary I wouldn’t mind installing another distro in a virtual machine.

Hi all!

Any news on the Linux client? Its killing me to run it in a vm! A daemonized version with a web-ui is the way to go!

Any new news on the linux client?